Better to buy in the store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by naturallight, Jun 15, 2007.

1. naturallight macrumors member

Hi,
    I'm looking at picking up a MBP, along with the free nano and printer that come with the edu discount.

As far as I can tell, the online price and the in-store price will be the same--I won't have to pay shipping online, and I will have to pay tax for both online and in-store.

I'm thinking it's better to actually go to the store, because someone mentioned how they had the apple rep turn on the computer to check for dead pixels. Does anyone know if the apple reps will generally do this?

Are there any other reasons to buy online/in-store? In-store also seems better because then I won't have to wait!

Thanks!

2. Illicit macrumors 6502

They won't let you open every mbp until you find one you're satisfied with, that's for sure. but if you get one, and you open it to find >4 dead pixels or other substantial defects, they'll exchange it for you.

3. jshbckr macrumors 6502

I don't see how returning it is really any different than opening it while you're there. You could express your concern of getting dead pixels, etc, and make them feel like you need confirmation there in the store before you seal the deal.

They shouldn't expect you to drive all the way home to look at the computer and then drive all the way back to exchange it.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You don't have to drive home to open the box and turn on the computer... And they also won't open the box before you've paid for it.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

they'll let you open it in the store after you've paid for it, you don't have to take it home. But they're not going to let a propective customer start opening boxes because if you don't buy it for whatever reason, then they're stuck with an open box item and who's going to pay full retail for an open box item??

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

No payee, no lookee.
    Same as any other store.