Better to enable TRIM with Terminal or App?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swingerofbirch, Oct 26, 2012.

1. swingerofbirch, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I have my first SSD on its way (Samsung 830 256 GB), and I have been looking into enabling TRIM.

I saw in one thread someone suggested the advice from this page, which gives instructions on how to enable TRIM via the Terminal:

http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

As you can see on that page, the person giving the advice is very adamantly against the app called Trim Enabler saying that it replaces a kernel extension rather than patching it, which is apparently a bad thing. However, he's referring to Trim Enabler 1.x and there is now a 2.x version. I can't see anything on the Trim Enabler web-site on how the application now works.

So, I was wondering what people in the know think about this? Frankly I feel a bit uncomfortable using an unofficial solution either way, but I understand that TRIM with 3rd party SSDs will always be unofficial on Macs, so I just want to find the cleanest way of doing it.

Thank you.

2. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

I know Chameleon SSD Optimizer uses patching, not replacing, and the FAQ shows you exactly how to patch manually, I trust it, the developer is communicative and very quick with updates (as you have to re-enable TRIM support after almost every update)

http://chameleon.alessandroboschini.it/features.php

I'm pretty sure the newer Trim Enabler patches the kernel extension, but I prefer Chameleon.

3. chmodme macrumors member

correct

One of the issues with using the trim enabler app is trust.

The developer may well have made things right now by copying what Grant Pannell did, but initially his hack was atrocity.

And given the lack of any details now, as you noticed, I cannot fathom why people just jump into the use of this application.

If you feel the need to do this, do it manually so you understand what the hell you have done.

You are messing around with stuff which can break your system.

chmodme

4. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Thanks. I like that Chameleon lists the way to do it manually. I'll just do that.

5. Black Diesel macrumors member

I also have a Samsung 830 256GB on the way for a 13", this will be my first SSD as well. Is this Trim thing absolutely necessary?

6. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I've had my crucial SSD for six months now without trim and have no problems. Garbage collection has done a good job so far. Samsung supposedly has good GC as well.