Better to get a New or Refurb 2016 15" MBP?

Larrabee213

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
After 3 strikes with apple not being able to repair my 2014 15" rMBP I am looking at a replacement.

I want to avoid the high pitches keyboard issues if possible. Best to get a refurb or a brand new unit (have they fixed this issue)?

Going with 15" 512GB and the 4GB 460.

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
The refurb will save you some money.

Some people say they are better because they are inspected. But, I don't know if I buy into this refurb is better because a Apple tech looked at it. I suspect someone did look at it to see if it worked OK. But at best, it was a cursory look or run though the same tests that are performed at the end of the assembly process of a new system.

reserves

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
The refurb also has the same 14 day return policy, so if it has an issue send it back.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Apple refurbs have always been outstanding for me. In terms of the 2016 so many of them were returned that you're practically getting a brand new machine. If it's not perfect on arrival, send it back. After 11 months, get the extended warranty. Still an expensive machine but if I knew refurbs would be released this quickly I would have waited.

Reactions: QueenTyrone

ASUgrad1999

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
I agree with the others here. Got a refurb 2015 - 15" maxed for a great price and it is flawless! I probably wouldn't buy any other way for such an expensive item.

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2012
US
refurb if you can find the right specs you need. Otherwise new you can configure the way you want it.

In my experience with refurb you usually get either top-of-the-line or base models, but not much in between...

khabboub

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2014
Tampa
get a refurbished one. what many people are forgetting to mention is that you are also getting a new battery with a refurbished unit. there may be a few cycles on it, but they are tested and replaced when needed.

functionally speaking, the refurb devices are the same thing as the new devices. there is literally no notable difference in quality.

SnackTime

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
The only downside to going to refurbished route is availability. If the model you want is available refurbished, go with that.