Better to get a New or Refurb 2016 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Larrabee213, May 4, 2017.

1. Larrabee213, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017

Larrabee213 macrumors regular

After 3 strikes with apple not being able to repair my 2014 15" rMBP I am looking at a replacement.

I want to avoid the high pitches keyboard issues if possible. Best to get a refurb or a brand new unit (have they fixed this issue)?

Going with 15" 512GB and the 4GB 460.

2. reserves macrumors member

No reason in my opinion not to go refurb. They are as new and you get the same warranty / Apple Care.

Unless you like spending more money of course.

3. jerryk macrumors 68020

The refurb will save you some money.

Some people say they are better because they are inspected. But, I don't know if I buy into this refurb is better because a Apple tech looked at it. I suspect someone did look at it to see if it worked OK. But at best, it was a cursory look or run though the same tests that are performed at the end of the assembly process of a new system.

4. reserves macrumors member

The refurb also has the same 14 day return policy, so if it has an issue send it back.

5. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

Go with a refurb. Thats what I did and haven't regretted it for a second. They ONLY thing you don't get is the original box.

6. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Apple refurbs have always been outstanding for me. In terms of the 2016 so many of them were returned that you're practically getting a brand new machine. If it's not perfect on arrival, send it back. After 11 months, get the extended warranty. Still an expensive machine but if I knew refurbs would be released this quickly I would have waited.

7. ASUgrad1999 macrumors regular

ASUgrad1999

I agree with the others here. Got a refurb 2015 - 15" maxed for a great price and it is flawless! I probably wouldn't buy any other way for such an expensive item.

8. nitromac macrumors 6502

refurb if you can find the right specs you need. Otherwise new you can configure the way you want it.

In my experience with refurb you usually get either top-of-the-line or base models, but not much in between...

9. khabboub macrumors member

get a refurbished one. what many people are forgetting to mention is that you are also getting a new battery with a refurbished unit. there may be a few cycles on it, but they are tested and replaced when needed.

functionally speaking, the refurb devices are the same thing as the new devices. there is literally no notable difference in quality.

10. SnackTime macrumors newbie

The only downside to going to refurbished route is availability. If the model you want is available refurbished, go with that.

11. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Go with the refurb. I'm typing from one right now. :)