Better to network with Mac - Windows Vista or XP??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Loonytik, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I just bought a Macbook Air, my first Mac! After a couple days figuring out how to navigate I am starting to get the hang of it. I want to network with my old Laptop PC to be able to see some files that I plan on keeping there. My question is this: Is it easier to set up a home network with Vista or XP?

I have Vista on my PC right now(and I've tried a few online guides to view my files but I can't get it to work) but I also have a copy of XP. I was thinking of wiping my hard drive on the PC and installing XP instead.

Thoughts?

2. issicus macrumors newbie

its probably going to be the same, if all you want to do is share files.

if you cant connect to your mac's smb server the most likely cause is that you did not change your mac's workgroup. system prefs>network>advanced>wins> set workgroup to "WORKGROUP" or what ever your pc is set too.

if you want to use your pc as the server im not really sure how to do that. I do know that you will need special software if you want to run an AFP server. your mac will connect to the pc's smb server too, in the finder apple+k "smb://xxx.xxx.xx.x" might work.