Better to sell or return?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by czar44, Sep 29, 2012.

1. czar44 macrumors member

Bought two iPhone 5's. Both black, ATT, 32gb. I ordered two because I originally placed my order with Apple on 9/14 with the two week delivery window, using my upgrade. A few minutes later, I realized ATT was still quoting 9/21 delivery - of course that didn't happen! I originally intended to use the ATT one and then sell the one from Apple.

Anyway, although ATT gave me the run around, the phone arrived yesterday. I haven't opened it yet, tempting as it is. I paid full retail plus tax for it (about $800). The Apple order is coming Tuesday at the subsidized price of about $315 with tax. I was planning to return both and jump ship to VZW but I've now decided to stick with ATT, so I am definitely keeping one.

The question is, is it better for me to return the unsubsidized phone or try to sell one of the two phones on eBay? I'm assuming I'll need to pay shipping costs to return the ATT one anyway. Second, if I do decide to sell one, does it matter which I sell (the unsubsidized vs. subsidized)?

Thanks for any help!

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

sounds like a lot of hassle. you can return the att one right to a brick and morter store

3. czar44 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks. Didn't realize that. Will they charge a restock fee?

4. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

I heard they don't if its within the return window. Not certain though

5. KPOM macrumors G5

No, as long as it is unopened. AT&T has a special return policy for Apple phones.

6. czar44 thread starter macrumors member

Would I be able to return the unopened one I receive from Apple to the AT&T store or will the serial number/other info be on the receipt? Since I already have the ATT one, would love to open it today, but not if I can't return the one I'll get from Apple later this week. Since I paid full price for the AT&T one, wouldn't make sense to keep it otherwise.

7. czar44 thread starter macrumors member

Actually, looking at my wife's receipt from her in-store purchase, the IMEI is listed so I think I've answered my own question.

So tempted to open the box though!!

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would definitely return the unopened at&t one.

9. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Buy an unlock through ebay for $7
    New unlocked 64gb iPhone 5s are fetching $1300 at the moment

10. czar44 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was thinking. Looks like the 32gb are going for between $900-1000 on eBay.

Would the AT&T one be locked even though I purchased unsubsidized?

11. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

If money isn't an issue I'd return the AT&T one and remain contract free.

12. czar44 thread starter macrumors member

Not worried about the contract as my employer covers my monthly cell phone bill. The Apple phone is subsidized. Att is unsubsidized.

13. czar44, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

czar44 thread starter macrumors member

Just opened the outer box to see the order confirmation sheet and two things pop up. One, I don't see the IMEI listed anywhere on the order sheet. Two, there somebody else's order sheet also stuck to mine in the box. I hope this guy got his phone, too.

It also looks like mine shipped without a SIM. The order sheet for the other person includes a line that says Embedded Sim. Mine doesn't have that same line. Would I not receive a SIM bc it's not a contract-tied phone?