Better to use AW workout App or 3rd Party?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by matt9013, Sep 21, 2016.

1. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

Is there any difference if I use Apples workout app vs a 3rd party's like RunKeeper?All my data still gets logged right?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It depends on what you want. Apple's workout data is pretty much kept in Apple's walled garden. There are limited, unsupported methods of exporting portions of the data, but no way to export all of it. Third party apps will keep your data in their systems, which may be much more flexible, and allow you to export it in standard, supported ways to other sites like Strava or Training Peaks or just download it for your own keeping. There are not any 3rd party apps to my knowledge that can use the watch's GPS at this point, however.

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Also, the 3rd party apps vary in stability and reliability. Apple Workout is more stable and reliable in my experience. Not all 3rd party apps are created equally, so you may need to test a few to find one that meets your needs both functionally and in quality.

4. matt9013 thread starter macrumors 6502

matt9013

Just used RunKeeper for the first time. My map shows up in my RunKeeper app (series 1 watch) but not workouts. Is that normal because I used a different app?

5. Ryanmrash macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

FWIW, after using Nike Running for the first time on the Watch, I deleted it...It just didnt jive right with the phone...Maybe it was something I did, but it didnt record my run correctly, and and started a new run while one was in progress...Ill just stick with the native run app for now.