Better to use preview or proprietary scanning software for flatbed scanning?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Applechunckin, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Applechunckin macrumors newbie

I have an Epson WF-3520 that I recently purchased and want to use the flatbed scanner on it to scan items that will not feed properly through my ScanSnap ix500.

I was wondering if using OSX preview is better than any of the proprietary epson scanning software included with the printer.

I know in the past I have used preview to scan pdfs on an old scanner and the file size was humongous compared to using Acrobat's scanning software. Are there similar problems with preview for scanning pictures or magazine covers?

Thanks

2. Bear macrumors G3

I presume you would want images saved as jpgs and not pdf files. So there should be no size issue there.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The default OS X scanning application is Image Capture, not Preview. Epson Scan is really just a front end to Image Capture. I have two scanners, a Canon and an Epson. With the Canon, I prefer Image Capture. The alternative is Canon's gawd awful TWAIN scan tool. With my Epson, I prefer Epson Scan because the Epson has an automatic document feeder which is enabled by Epson Scan. As I said before, Epson Scan uses the OS X built-in utility Image Capture as its back end.

4. Applechunckin thread starter macrumors newbie

I am scanning in book covers that do not fit into my ScanSanp ix500. I would like them to be color PDFs so the title would be searchable, but this would only be one page so I am assuming one color PDF would not take too much space as opposed to a 50 page pdf document.

----------

Yes that was my bad. I got preview and image capture mixed up.

Thanks