Better Touch Tool...how do you use it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SachaS, Dec 15, 2009.

1. SachaS macrumors regular

I've downloaded and installed and updated the Better Touch Tool, but whenever I click on the application nothing appears..? How do I set the gestures and stuff?

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

in the BetterTouchTool preferences..

plenty of info if you search and also refer to the BetterTouchTool blog

3. SachaS thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think you understand...

When I click on the Better Touch Tool application it doesn't open. I can't access the preferences. For example, if I click on it (the Better Touch Tool in the Applications folder) I still have the file options for Safari, Preferences for Safari, etc.

System Preferences? There is no Better Touch Tool tab there either.

4. SachaS thread starter macrumors regular

It does update itself however, so I'm guessing there's a way to access the Preferences I don't know about?

Would prefer if you just told me rather than redirect me to your search results as if I had any luck searching I wouldn't have posted this thread.

Edit:

Not only is it not responding at all when I click on the application tab, it seems to have stopped the Magic Mouse from being able to load a previous page by scrolling two fingers left...

Edit 2:

I can see it in Activity Monitor, and I can quit the progress. When clicking on Better Touch Tool application again it shows up in Activity Monitor as running like normal, however I cannot access it at all.

Like I said it did automatically update itself earlier on today.

5. Balders macrumors member

Balders

Do you have an icon in the right hand side of the menu bar? Looks like a touchpad with a finger hovering over it. If not, try Ctrl+Alt+Cmd+O.

6. SachaS thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have that icon, but that keyboard command has finally made it appear!

It still isn't in the menu bar even though it is open and I am now looking at it.

Thanks a lot.

7. Balders macrumors member

Balders

Click the General icon within the BTT prefs screen, then select Show Menubar icon and you'll have the icon show up.

8. Fuzzi macrumors member

you may have accidentally hidden the icon? (Check in the general tab in BTT if it should be shown)

9. whyrichard macrumors 68000

for me, i can't get, simply, right click and middle click working in better touch tool.

does it conflict with the mouse prefpane?

am i missing something?

"single finger click middle" doesn't work for me, and i can't find anything to enable "right click"...

r.

10. skerfoot macrumors member

open on startup?

This may be my Mac ignorance coming through, but...

Is there a way to get BTT to open on startup of the computer? As it is, I have to launch it from applications every time. It doesn't show up in the menu bar until it's launched. Is this the way it is for everyone, or just me? I can't find the answer anywhere.

Thanks

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

System Preferences -> Accounts -> Select your account -> Startup apps -> Select/add BTS

12. skerfoot macrumors member

Ahhh, there it is

Thanks, I knew that had to be somewhere. That could be useful.

10min ago I also found a BTT-specific way of doing this. Under BTT preferences -> general -> there's a checkbox for "launch BTT on startup". Not sure how I missed that before.

13. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

+1
    Pays to pay attention no?

14. jessejskinner macrumors newbie

Help

Does anyone have this problem with BTT? (I have a MBP)

Whenever BTT is running, if I type in a dialogue box then my hand brushes or taps the left side of the touchpad, the cursor moves to the front of the dialogue box. It works even if I intentionally do it with my finger. When I turn off BTT, it doesn't do it.

Any ideas? I couldn't find a answer on their blog.

15. nobrob macrumors newbie

Right click on the BetterTouchTool app.
    Select "Show Package Contents"
    Go to Contents/Resources
    Double click on BTTPrefs.prefPane

Enjoy a new pref pane :)