Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fufuflavor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Complete apple noob here. Never even bought a brand new iPad before, always hand me downs. I know I can look up specs but hopefully you guys can break it down better for me.

From a pure value standpoint, is the regular iPad a better value over the PROs? The 12.9 is $300 more mainly because of the screen right? What makes the pros so much more expensive over the regular? And the mini, is the mini more closely related to the Air since the price is similar?

I can afford anything, but I don’t want buyers remorse if I’m paying $2,000 for something I won’t be taking the full advantage of.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I bought the 2021 12.9 for the larger screen and the better display - 12.9 is only available in the Pro line. I also bought a Mini 6 as a more portable complement to the 12.9 (though even if I still had the 10.5 I would want the smaller form factor of the Mini). Value is subjective.

Reactions: LibbyLA

Fufuflavor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
You need to give us your specific use case for us to be able to suggest anything. Different iPads are made for different usage of course.
Normal usage to play games, watch YouTube, and Netflix. Not used for school or anything. Just imagine I’m buying it for a middle schooler.

Fufuflavor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
I bought the 2021 12.9 for the larger screen and the better display - 12.9 is only available in the Pro line. I also bought a Mini 6 as a more portable complement to the 12.9 (though even if I still had the 10.5 I would want the smaller form factor of the Mini). Value is subjective.
Very true. Value is subjective. Just wondering if I really need the pro over the base. How much better is the 12.9 screen over the mini 6?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Very true. Value is subjective. Just wondering if I really need the pro over the base. How much better is the 12.9 screen over the mini 6?
One aspect will be the actual size, the 12.9" is big and immersive for content consumption, and has better speakers. The mini 6 is very small and portable. the 10.2" iPad, 10.9" iPad Air and 11" iPad Pro are in the middle on screen size vs portability, the Pro shares the better quad speakers as the 12.9", the Air has landscape stereo and the iPad has portrait stereo (both on one side in landscape).

The other is the mini LED screen tech currently only in the 12.9" Pro, that basically enables true HDR for any content that supports it. Probably would look good on big production Netflix shows, movies, or nature documentaries, but maybe of less value for general browsing, social media, or candy crush.

The Air is probably the median iPad, I'd probably only consider the base if your budget really doesn't stretch to any others, the mini is really if you like something to slip into your pocket when you're on the go, and the Pros are more for if this will be your main computing device (particularly the 12.9") or you really like to have the absolute best for your content consumption.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Are you able to go to a store and look at the different models? Look at the base model first, then look at the other possibilities. If you’re in the US, many places you buy have a return policy so you can use it for several days and return it if you don’t like it. The base model may be just fine for you.

(I currently have two iPad Pro 11” [2018 and 2021, 2018 will probably be sold or given away after I’m no longer teaching], a Mini 6 and a Mini 5, had iPP 9.7”, iPP 10.5”, and Mini 4 at one time. Bought a previous generation regular iPad for my fiancé.)

Fufuflavor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Are you able to go to a store and look at the different models? Look at the base model first, then look at the other possibilities. If you’re in the US, many places you buy have a return policy so you can use it for several days and return it if you don’t like it. The base model may be just fine for you.

(I currently have two iPad Pro 11” [2018 and 2021, 2018 will probably be sold or given away after I’m no longer teaching], a Mini 6 and a Mini 5, had iPP 9.7”, iPP 10.5”, and Mini 4 at one time. Bought a previous generation regular iPad for my fiancé.)
Heck they all play YouTube and Netflix the same. One

yeah I’m thinking base might be ok if I’m just using it to watch movies. I owned an iPad Pro 9.7 and air 2 at the same time and couldn’t tell them apart too much besides the speakers.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
For your usage, I would not go higher than iPad Air. Choose between the 10.2” iPad and the 10.9” iPad Air.

The Air comes with a better display that’s laminated.

The Pro series offers better cameras (for document scanning and outdoor use) and display (which largely benefit Pencil users). For YouTube and Netflix, you won’t benefit from the extra RAM or processing power.

Unless you intend to carry it in your pocket, the iPad mini is really expensive for a small screen.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The Pro series offers better cameras (for document scanning and outdoor use) and display (which largely benefit Pencil users). For YouTube and Netflix, you won’t benefit from the extra RAM or processing power.

True but the Pro does have quad speakers.

Unless you intend to carry it in your pocket, the iPad mini is really expensive for a small screen.

Agreed. I carry the mini in my jacket pocket around the office. If not for that, I probably would've nabbed the Pro 11 instead.

Fufuflavor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
I’m probably just gonna get the basic 9th gen since it’s 64gigs now and use the rest for a good Bluetooth speaker lol

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I’m probably just gonna get the basic 9th gen since it’s 64gigs now and use the rest for a good Bluetooth speaker lol
just be advised that the basic 9th gen is the last model to still utilize speakers in only the base location next to the older lighting port, with all the other models using USB-C with better speakers. It also possesses the old 8MP Wide rear camera which isn't great.

see https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

As suggested you need to spend some time at the apple store and get a feel of what you like. Good Luck.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
just be advised that the basic 9th gen is the last model to still utilize speakers in only the base location next to the older lighting port, with all the other models using USB-C. It also possesses the old 8MP Wide camera which isn't great.

see https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

As suggested you need to spend some time at the apple store and get a fell of what you like. Good Luck.

The OP needs to look at the implications of the proprietary Lightning connector - need for the cables and dongles for connecting peripherals if desired. I have to with the iPhone, but I'll never buy another device with Lightning.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
If I were you I would get a refurbished 2018 12.9 pro for little more than $700, that what I did... ideal for videos, unless you prefer a smaller one (and even then I'd get a 2018 11in pro). Of course refurbished devices (which come with a new battery) are not available all the time.

Reactions: Falhófnir
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.