Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmoreno26

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
base 15 inch i5 2.4
4 gigs
320 gigs

or 15 inch i5 2.53
4 gigs
500 gigs

which would you guys go for?

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I'll give you my reasoning. The i5-520m vs the i5-540m speed difference is minimal at best. Look at any benchmarks for PC/OS X whatever. Passmark etc, you'll see it's not worth the price difference. the 520m is a very good processor, it's not worth the upgrade to 540m at all, only time you ever see that difference in speed is if you're encoding video and even then it's fairly minor. Definitely not value..

as for the HDD, that's up to you. HDD are cheap and probably even cheaper if you bought it yourself and upgraded. Or like someone else said, save your money and get an SSD. Or go with th 320GB and replace it with a $130 500GB momentus XT for some faster boot speeds and some faster app loading.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
ne reasonssssss why?

The reason is that tests show the base and the 2.53 don't differ very much in performance so most people have brought the 2.4. Your talking 130mhz difference which is peanuts, as I understand it their is NOTHING else bar the slight speed increase that is different between the two processors. So save your cash and buy the 7200rpm 500GB or 320GB drive.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Definitely go for the base, there isn't too much difference between the 2.4 and 2.53, plus no difference between video memory and 5400rpm hard drives are pretty slow so you'd be better off using the money you save on the 2.4 to put towards a better one.

dmoreno26

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
it comes with a c.d right? the mac os install

so lets say in 2 yrs i wanna get like a 500 gb or ssd installled all i need to do is install it myself then install mac os right.. is it that simple?

lol i know noob question, ive been a windowsss guy cut me slack

pjcforpres2020

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Yes, it is essentially that simple, even easier given you can also back up and restore too the new hard drive as well.

Base i5 is the best value... If you upgrade ram or hard drive after market is cheaper than apple... Screen resolution and anti glare is a personal choice... Get a carrying case...

dmoreno26

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Yes, it is essentially that simple, even easier given you can also back up and restore too the new hard drive as well.

Base i5 is the best value... If you upgrade ram or hard drive after market is cheaper than apple... Screen resolution and anti glare is a personal choice... Get a carrying case...

how would u do that? lol

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
Base 15in for sure. Use that extra $ on a SSD.

This is the best if you don't need a large capacity for your laptop. Your mac comes with installing disks. Installing an SDD is straightfoward. If in doubt, search this forum here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.