Better vignette in FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by FroColin, Mar 5, 2011.

1. FroColin macrumors regular

I know there is a vignette tool under stylize but it's fairly limited. What I specifically want is way to set the center. That's all. (And be able to key it) I know you can do that in color and I know you can make your own shape and do that. And I make due. But I would love to know if anyone has a plug in that just adds that functionality for cheap. I know magic bullet looks can do that but I don't want that especially as I have color and know how to use it and enjoy color grading. I just want a plug in for when I just need to do a simple shot and don't want to spend a bunch of extra time for a custom one
    Thanks

2. zblaxberg, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

Could you create a transparent .TIFF in photoshop with the vignette and just bring that in to FCP. You could then scale and move the image wherever you want.

There's also a reason why Color is bundled with Final Cut... Color was made more for doing things such as vignetting, FCP is made for editing, not effects.

3. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

4. FroColin thread starter macrumors regular

zblaxberg
    Yeah I know. I love color, it is an awesomely powerful application. But sometimes for those little things I just don't want to open it and everything.

martinX
    Awesome. Thanks man. You would think I could find these things by googeling but I actually couldn't

5. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Even I had trouble finding them, and I knew of their existence. You'd think I'd learn about bookmarks or something...

One of the plugins I found is called "face light". Imagine a face, front and center, in an interview. Light's not that crash hot so it's a bit dark. Enter "face light. It makes the face ... light. Now I could do that in Color or even FCP's colour corrector, but Face Light took 2 seconds. Yes, it has to be rendered and the colour corrector doesn't, but it's a small price to pay.