Better wait for an iMac or buy a Retina Mac Pro ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by davidgnomo, Jun 12, 2012.

  1. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

    davidgnomo

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2012
    Location:
    My place !
    #1
    Hi guys, I'm obviously sad about Apple not coming out with new iMac ... but I'm a pc user and I decided to switch to Mac almost a year ago : I've been waiting to collect money and when I got them I've waited up until now 'cause a new iMac seemed about to come out ! I'm so frustrated and I'm starting to think that a Mac Book Pro with a Retina display is a good machine too, powerful enough and light to be taken with me during trips (even if I don't really need it).

    I think I'll wait until the end of WWDC (just in case, you never know) and order a new MBP pushed to the max (2.7 Ivy Bridge, but only 8 Mb RAM ... I'll eventually upgrade it later) : do you think I'm taking the good choice or shall I still wait ?

    I mean, as long as the new MBP is really a nice piece of work, I'm thinking that even if Apple shows a new iMac, let's say, in July, I can be happy enough with my new retina display ...

    Suggestions kindly requested !
     
  2. necromorph macrumors regular

    necromorph

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2012
    Location:
    London
    #2
    If you need it buy it then buy it, don't wait for the iMac. However with the iMac and Mac pro fiasco I'd stick with a pc.
     
  3. heyimandy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    Location:
    Toronto, ON
    #3
    I'm in a similar situation as you. I think I will be waiting till around when Mountain Lion comes out to see what happens.

    Sure everyone is disappointed but it also seemed very unlikely that apple reveal their whole mac line updated. I would imagine there will be a silent spec update and hopefully that will be when mountain lion comes out. If not I will then look into either the highest end iMac 2011 or the new Macbook Pro.

    I think its easy to tell that the majority of people are just typical consumers. So much hoot and hollering about retina. Yes, it's nice but its really not a make it or break it for me. As someone in video production I just want spec improvements to continue the ease of workflow. Not to mention guarantee there will be a big price increase if they make the iMac retina. A screen that big in retina display will for sure cost some coin.
     
  4. Hughv macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2012
    #4
    Can't upgrade...

    The RAM is soldered to the motherboard and can't be upgraded. Buy what you need now. Same goes for the SSD.
     
  5. forty2j macrumors 68030

    forty2j

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #5
    The SSD, at least, isn't soldered onto the motherboard. You just can't currently purchase a replacement kit, but that should change.
     
  6. scamutz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2012
    #6
    I'm on exactly the same boat, and have been waffling back and forth for days. I really don't like typing on a notebook keyboard, and I love having the larger screen to watch movies. I'm thinking maybe buy the mbp and later external screen? I'd get the portability...but that's an awful lot of money. Is there a better way?!?
     
  7. necromorph macrumors regular

    necromorph

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2012
    Location:
    London
  8. Bear macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #8
    If you read various forums posts, the best guess seems to be the new iMac will be coming out within a week or so of Mountain Lion getting released.

    If you've waited this long, what's another couple of weeks.
     
  9. travistaylor macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2006
    #9
    Honestly, you should just wait. Especially wait if you think you'll use your laptop as a desktop- its not worth getting an external monitor and ruining the laptops battery by keeping it plugged in all the time just because you want a new piece of hardware right now.

    That said, if you order a MacBook Pro Retina right now, you're going to be waiting 3-4 weeks for it to deliver. Wait for the stock of the MacBook Pro Retina to smooth out, and then order when they ship within 24 hours. By then, the new iMac may have been released and you can make a real decision!
     
  10. boto macrumors 6502

    boto

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2012
    #10
    I would get both if I possibly could, otherwise playing the waiting game would be more beneficial for your needs.
     
  11. bugbear99 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2009
    #11
    i just like u, and i'll wait. Since you have already wait for a year, it make not so different to wait for another month or two, or three.
    I'll definitely save more money and go for the highest end iMac 2012.
     
  12. Overg macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 26, 2012
    #12
    Again, I was thinking like that as well, and apple tend to convince you to buy what you don't need.

    I have iPad, I am not a student anymore, and I need desktop with huge HD and big screen.
    Mbp isn't suited for for this mission period.
    Also, reading more and more reviews, not sure that even if I was planning to buy a laptop I would have bought it.

    The memory is soldered to the board, means you need to buy the 16 gigs, so adding another 200$, the 15 inch screen doesn't make it so portable.
    It is still not that light, and above all while the retina is nice it's not that amazing to add so much money on it.
    I saw the retina on iPad it nice but I wouldn't change my iPad 2 for it.
    The new mbp is very hard to fix if something goes wrong an as some said it actually big iPad.
    What you buy is what you will have all the time.

    I recall back on the days I was waiting to buy the new Nikon d7000 I had old DSLR and when I wanted to change the d90 was at the end of the cycle, the rumors mill on the d7"000 was endless, and I waited and waited, and finally it came I didn't brake and bought the d90, I bought the d7000, an I have to tell you it was worth every second I waited , the d7000 is a much better and sophisticated camera than the d90.
    So bottom line

    W a i t....:)
     
  13. Melbourne Park, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

    Melbourne Park macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2012
    #13
    The Don't Wait argument:

    The Don't Wait argument:

    1 - Order now, the Retina won't ship for a month anyway, due to supply constraints. By then, the Ivy Bridge USB-3 iMac may be out.

    2 - After you get the Retina in a month, you have two weeks to return it. If the Ivy Bridge iMac is out by then, you can make your mind up.

    3 - If the Ivy Bridge iMac is announced before the extra two weeks is up - ie 6 weeks from now - then you can decide if you want it.

    4 - You can buy a Samsung or Dell 27" IPS monitor for around $600 I think, which is as good a monitor as Apple's current IPS iMac monitor. So, add the cost of that good monitor, to the Retina, plus a keyboard and mouse (and you can get a gaming mechanical keyboard if you like, they are better than Apple's current keyboards IMO).

    So ... it makes sense to order the Retina now. By the way, its better value than the DVD equipped on, and its much much mucho thinner.

    5- The Retina may be all you need afterall ... its a sweet screen actually.

    6 - If the Ivy Bridge iMac is not announced in 6 weeks, one has to seriously wonder whether Apple ever intends to ever have a contemporary engineered desktop iMac. If so, then keep the Retina macbook pro.
     
  14. bugbear99 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2009
    #14
    I'm using mbp 13" 2009
    since im not student anymore, all i want is a machine that i can code and still be able to play some of latest games. a big mon is highly demand.

    trust me
    I was planning to buy a 27" IPS mon, but turn out Dell is not my good choice after doing some research on the product, even it only cost around $600.
    i rather spend more and expect less problems.

    The only way to go is Apple mon or iMac which is powerful, 27" and much cheaper than mpb + apple mon

    and i support imac should remove its DVD burner, since it make no sense keep updating the almost same dvd for each new iMac. also free up some space for something more valuable.

    i could just buy an external dvd, attach to iMac when i want to. mostly i dont.
     
  15. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

    boy-better-know

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2010
    Location:
    England
    #15
    I waited a year for a redesigned iMac, and since one was not announced, and the rumours suggesting that there will be a redesign in 2013, I decided to go ahead and buy the Retina MBP.
    I am happy because I expect a spec bump with the iMac if anything at all this year. Plus that gorgeous retina display should keep me happy for a while.
     
  16. Melbourne Park macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2012
    #16
    We've got a form of IPS monitor - 24" Dell (not the Adobe approved one) with a gaming PC, and the monitor has been perfect. Its not Apple quality in construction, but it ain't bad at all, and it rotates 90 too. And there is always the Samsung 27" which is their version of IPS.

    256 SSD i7 iMac 27" with 8GB RAM: $2,800

    2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB flash storage1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
    USB-3
    $2,200

    Add the $600 monitor of choice, and its the same price. And, you can take the notebook with you.

    Add $200 for DVD drive and keyboard /mouse, but we have those already surely. 3rd party DVD and 3rd party keyboard - you might be better of with a Razor mechanical keyboard anyhow.

    Performance wise is much the same.

    Resale value? Not sure ... but considering the iMac is about to be superceded, perhaps it will depreciate more?

    The price premium is on the Apple monitor, which is $400 more. But ... you do get quite a bit of extra real estate with that setup, because you get the notebook monitor, which happens to be the best resolution out their.

    Perhaps run external drives off an Apple monitor?

    Really, the 256SSD macbook pro looks the best value IMO. And certainly right now, lest risk.
     
  17. mrmarts macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne Australia
    #17
    If you got a reliable PC to use now. I would wait I have always waited for my apple gear including the new macbook pro retina, if you wait no harm can come from it. Whilst you can rest easy when the new models get released, if it is a major update, if not at least you get the upcoming ivy bridge platform with USB 3.0 ports, bluetooth 4.0, better graphics etc.
     

Share This Page