better way of doing this effect...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by maffew12, Oct 4, 2012.

1. maffew12 macrumors newbie

I'm doing a music promo, and for the opening I've got an old TV floating in space, which gradually zooms in with footage of the band playing... I've tried using keyframe animation, which works great for the TV zoom, but looks awful with the footage, which i've made small to match the size of the screen, and keyframed on top of the image of the tv, cropping the edges where necessary etc.. there has to be a better way to do this, it looks OK, but on close inspection, it does just look like I'm hovering quite separate footage over the top of the TV... is there a better way? I'm aware after effects would be ideal, but i don't have it...

2. daybreak macrumors 6502a

O.K. Now just imagine that you are reading YOUR post. What are you telling us???????? besides what you which to achieve.
    We have no clue what software you are using........do you get my drift??????

3. maffew12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Half asleep - I'm using Final Cut Pro 7. For some reason I must have thought the default editing program used by mac users is FCP, and we're on a mac forum.. But there are of course many alternatives..

4. handsome pete macrumors 68000

While you can use FCP7, motion graphics software like After Effects or Motion is much better suited for this.

If you have FCP7, then you should already have Motion. I prefer After Effects, so you could always give that a try with the 30 day free trial.

5. mBox macrumors 68020

green screen the tv if you can.
    did you say the footage on the tv looks bad when you zoom in?
    you should leave the footage at normal resolution and scale to fit screen of tv.
    honestly use a motion design app like motion or after effects.
    Ive been using FCP for many moons and stuff like this is to much for that app.
    unless you want it to look like Ed Wood style :)

6. maffew12 thread starter macrumors newbie

The TV screen is an image which i scale down to zero and then use keyframes to scale up.. I did the same with the montage, scaled it down and keyframed it so it grew in size with the screen. I took down the opacity slightly, which sold it a little better, and cropped and feathered the edges so they blended a bit.. but it just doesn't look good enough.. it's been so long since i used after effects but the 30 day trial might be the best way to go...How would you do it in after effects? tricky to search for an answer, quite specific...

7. mBox macrumors 68020

would be easier if we can actually see an example.

8. ytk macrumors regular

You should be able to do this in FCP without too much difficulty. First, make a new sequence. Put the TV background on V1. Make it static and full size—don't try to keyframe it here. If you need to matte out the edges outside the TV to make the background transparent then do so. Then put the footage on V2, and resize/crop/adjust it until it looks good to you. Apply whatever transparency/filter effects you like to the footage so it looks like it's actually on the TV.

Now take the whole sequence you just made and drop it into your main timeline as a subsequence. Now keyframe the motion on that subsequence. The TV and footage should stay perfectly locked together no matter how you move it around.

9. mBox macrumors 68020

good tips from ytk :)
    if the tv screen is somewhat angular as in straight lines and now concave, use the distort option as well.
    this way you can keyframe any movement.
    but too much backplate movement is not good most of the time.

10. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

For After Effects, if you decide to do the 30 day trial:

Mask the video appropriately on top of the TV

Parent the video layer to the TV layer

Set the blending mode of the video layer to screen, multiply, or overlay, whichever looks better for this animation. This will make it adopt some of the shading of the screen and make it look more real.

Animate the TV layer from 0% to however big you want it. The video layer is parented to it, so it'll match up perfectly for every frame.

Add an adjustment layer on top of everything and apply a glow to it. Add a loose, highly feathered mask around the area of the screen ON THE ADJUSTMENT LAYER to make it look like it's imparting light onto the TV around it.

Quote me if you have any questions.

11. treatment macrumors member

Trying to do this in FCP is like using a crescent wrench to hammer a nail.
    Yes, it can be done, but it ain't gonna be pretty.

If you look on Youtube, you will see a bazillian tutorials on Motion. Apple Motion is easily the best way to get this done, trust me.
    Motion is ALL ABOUT keyframes, and was designed to do what you need in this regard. It also won;t require that you re-render everything after every single move, because you can preview stuff much easier.
    You could use After Effects also, but the learning curve to After Effects is much steeper. Use the 30 day trial, this shoudn't take more than a day's work.
    Motion is a fantastic tool for video editors who want to cross over into motion graphics. You will be able to create kick-a55 titles and effects for your video projects, so if you are like me, you might want to purchase Motion regardless. I have used it on countless projects, and I am by no means an expert. That's the beauty of Motion: you don't need to be!
    Treatment

12. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

...And its $49.99....its like the sprinkles on FCP! Don't forget to throw that in the shopping cart!

13. maffew12 thread starter macrumors newbie

if you need an example, it's pretty much the opening of the Romeo + Juliet, which the tv gradually zooming to a close up with news footage on..

----------

thanks for all the responses...

I'll deffo try the final cut subsequence, and investigate motion - i never bothered using it, i considered it a less powerful version of AE.. But I've forgotten a lot of AE now, it's been a few years since I used it... So it might make sense to give Motion a try... thanks all!

14. WRP, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

WRP macrumors 6502a

Anything that moves needs motion blur or it look bad. Unfortunately if you add motion blur in FCP it will effect the video action as well as the DVE motion which is not good.

You want to do this in After Effects.

position both the tv and video where you want them in zspace and make a keyframe for both.
    Go to your ending destination and set the tv and video where you want it to end. Turn on motion blur for the comp and each layer. If you want smoother slows and stop change the keyframes to something no linear like easy ease. viola.

Dude, if it's a linear move it should take no longer than a couple minutes and that is with render time.