Better Way to Use Apple Smart Cover (mini-guide)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by onthecouchagain, Mar 20, 2012.

1. onthecouchagain, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I thought I'd share how I've been using my Smart Cover. I did a few searches and couldn't find anyone posting about it.

A common complaint about the Smart Cover I keep hearing is that when opened to either the triangle stand, or when opened all the way flat to the back, the microfiber side is exposed to whatever surface you place your iPad on, and thus attracts much more dust, which inevitably gets back onto your screen when you go to close your Smart Cover.

There is a way to minimize some of these problems.

For the typing-triangle (and typing-triangle only), simply fold the Smart Cover "forward" so that the microfiber side folds into the triangle, leaving the outside poly or leather to face surfaces. The triangle stand still works and is perfectly stable in the typing-triangle position. Personally, I think this is better anyway because it's also easier to unwrap from the magnets. HOWEVER, this "forward" folding method DOES NOT work in the viewing-triangle (standing the iPad up in landscape).

As for putting the iPad flat, you can also fold your Smart Cover "forward" by half, then folding the "half" Smart Cover all the way flat to the back of your iPad.

Observe the pics to better understand (sorry that they're somewhat low quality).

Lastly, for those worried about smudges and lines on your iPad screen when your Smart Cover is closed, instead of closing by unwrapping the triangle fold by fol,, try "sliding" the first fold of your Smart Cover from left to right instead. This, in essence, will "wipe" the screen clean as you're closing it.

Well, that's all. Hope that helps.

Fold it forward:
    [​IMG]

Perfectly stable. Keeps microfiber inside:
    [​IMG]

Fold it forward flat:
    [​IMG]

Microfiber stays on inside:
    [​IMG]

Usable, and keeps microfiber clean
    [​IMG]

Slide this sucker right to "wipe" the screen as you close and you'll be all right:
    [​IMG]

(Again, folding the Smart Cover "forward" does not prop the iPad in landscape viewing mode. Only in typing-mode)

2. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

3. jltj macrumors member

Good suggestions!

A question: If the microfiber surface does get dirty, what's the best way to clean it?

4. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Personally, I immediately flick away or wipe away with my hands any dirt I see. I try not to let anything build up.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how else could be better. Maybe others will chime in...

5. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Will bending it backwards, stress the all of the perforations more?

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Just hope you don't have a grain of sand under there that you're dragging across the screen. :rolleyes:

7. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I folded it into a stand like shown and it's considerably weaker than keeping the microfiber side out. A light touch and it collapsed.

8. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I thought of this too, and I don't think it should. Of course, mileage may vary. Personally, I'm not too worried about it. I rather stress it a bit more, and keep the microfiber (and my screen) clean. :)

----------

Strange. I am not having this issue. Are you sure the front-fold magnets are locking into place when it's in the triangle?

9. jeme macrumors regular

I am fine with the typing position but the upright position is to far upright, vertically to watch a movie or video.

10. dancj macrumors 6502

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I have the leather version and the best thing to clean the soft microfiber with is a dry hard brush (same as you would use on a pair of saude boots)

12. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

13. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Yep agreed!

14. aoifeee macrumors member

15. brand macrumors 601

brand

There is the reason Apple designed it the way they did.