Better way to watch ...?

fmiller4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Love my Apple TV but hate watching movies through my home network.

I have a LOT - and the movie app that comes when I go through 'computer' is pretty bare-bones: no search, no sorting, just a list basically...

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Agreed, Plex is a great option. In fact, you can keep your files where they are (I assume you have them managed via iTunes). Simply point Plex to the same folders and you are set.

lvavila

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
Love my Apple TV but hate watching movies through my home network.

I have a LOT - and the movie app that comes when I go through 'computer' is pretty bare-bones: no search, no sorting, just a list basically...

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

Yup, Plex

starkmj

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
The biggest question here is: Are any (many?) of your movies iTunes movies with DRM on them? Plex won't play those movies.

That's why I stick with iTunes. I have way too many iTunes purchased movies. Most of them were digital copies of the Blu Rays I bought.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
The biggest question here is: Are any (many?) of your movies iTunes movies with DRM on them? Plex won't play those movies.

That's why I stick with iTunes. I have way too many iTunes purchased movies. Most of them were digital copies of the Blu Rays I bought.
I would assume that most if not all have DRM. If you feel like most that ripping DVD's or Blu Rays for personal use is OK then you may want to look at this as well http://www.tuneskit.com.