better windows remote desktop app and windows share alias

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DaMan05, Jul 12, 2011.

1. DaMan05, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

DaMan05 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I just got my first Mac (13" Pro) and have been searching and learning the ins and outs. However, two things I can't seem to find good answers to:

1) I remote desktop (default Windows remote desktop, nothing 3rd party) a lot to my closet computer: is there a better remote desktop app than Microsoft's? I want something that can auto log me in, change resolution?
    EDIT: found my answer hehe. you can go file -> edit a connection to change the above things.

2) I can't seem to figure out how to create a shortcut/alias to a network share on either my desktop or Dock. I mean the actual Windows network share, not a folder within the share. I'm not really looking to auto mount the share, just have a shortcut to it. Dragging doesn't work, nor can I right click and create an alias

Thanks in advance!

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

1) CoRD
    2) Dunno only used automount via Login items.

3. DaMan05 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that. And I think an auto-mount would work for me. If I set network mounts to show up on my desktop on connect, an auto-mount would effectively create a shortcut on my desktop every time the share is mounted.

How do I go about doing this? And what happens if I'm not at home? Do I get an ugly error message?