Betterperformance?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Frado, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Frado macrumors member

I have a 15" mid-range macbook pro from 2009.
    I have had every new OSX version since then, and I always used the 'upgrade' function(so never a clean install).
    To improve performance I installed an ocz vertex2 ssd 2 years back, and I replaced the superdrive with the original hdd.

Now, I notice that performance has been dropping: slow boot times, iTunes always hangs when it's syncing and downloading updates etc..

Would a clean install improve anything? But can I use time machine to restore files, or will it make the whole thing slow again?
    Maybe I could try mavericks beta (and return if it's too buggy), because it's really since mountain lion that performance has dropped.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

You should not normally need to run any maintenance routines or do a clean install regularly. Your Mac should normally not slow down.

If you are experiencing slowdowns, then there are a number of things you can do.
    First, verify and repair your hard drive. (Boot to the Recovery Partition and run Disk Utility. NB: Repair DISK, not Permissions.)
    Second, look at the Console utility to see if any repeated or lengthy messages are being left when the slowness occurs. This may pinpoint a problem.

Thirdly, empty caches. You can do this by doing a Safe Boot, (restart holding <shift>), or by using a third-party utility like Onyx. Caches can become corrupt. However, you should not empty them regularly as the machine will be slower until they are re-populated.

Don't install Mavericks unless you are a beta tester, using it for testing, and reporting bugs to Apple.

A clean install will do very little, particularly if you restore all your user files. In essence, all that would do is replace everything except for cache and temp files.