Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
You mean this stuff? I never changed any of that.

Yeah, ah well I have changed it. I didn't know it changed the settings at the advanced area if you changed them from the basic view. So I changed the in the advanced one.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2014-01-30 om 14.02.31.png
    Schermafbeelding 2014-01-30 om 14.02.31.png
    133.2 KB · Views: 281

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Very nice, and yeah tapping makes it much easier. I think, most people aren't bothered with it. At college I asked a few people why they didn't enable it or if they preferred it so, they didn't even know you could change it...
Sadly, I think most people buy Macs just to show off they have one... not using 10% of it's capabilities.

So true. I had a professor with a macbook that didn't even know what it was called. When he needed an adapter he just held it up and said "does anybody have this type of computer." Also, he didn't use the trackpad to scroll by swiping. He put the mouse over the the scroll bar and the click the crap out of the trackpad over and over and over moving one millimeter per click down the page. It annoyed me so much.

Also, I used to be a naive user. But, over the years I have become more of a power user. One of the best things I have ever done was install BTT. I never realized how restrictive Apple's gestures were. I have almost 20 gestures for the MM and MT for the System, Finder, Safari, Chrome, etc.

My favorite is using tip tap left to simulate a double click. The one feature I miss from Windows was the ability to open a file or folder with one click. There is no native option for this in OSX.

Sorry for the long reply, I just agree strongly with you. :D

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
So true. I had a professor with a macbook that didn't even know what it was called. When he needed an adapter he just held it up and said "does anybody have this type of computer." Also, he didn't use the trackpad to scroll by swiping. He put the mouse over the the scroll bar and the click the crap out of the trackpad over and over and over moving one millimeter per click down the page. It annoyed me so much.

Also, I used to be a naive user. But, over the years I have become more of a power user. One of the best things I have ever done was install BTT. I never realized how restrictive Apple's gestures were. I have almost 20 gestures for the MM and MT for the System, Finder, Safari, Chrome, etc.

My favorite is using tip tap left to simulate a double click. The one feature I miss from Windows was the ability to open a file or folder with one click. There is no native option for this in OSX.

Haha, I get you. I also find it annoying when people just buy these computers just to be able to say they got a Mac, then when you ask them why they bought it specifically, then can't give you an answer... xD

Anyway, could you show your BTT config, we might learn some more. Although, I think if I start adding more and more, I won't be able to remember them all. :p

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Here you go.

I am always updating it to fit my needs. What I am primarily looking for right now is an intuitive MT and MM gesture for the application switcher.

Tip Tap right won't work because I use that in Safari and would be too irksome to change now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 9.42.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 9.42.49 PM.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 266
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 9.42.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 9.42.55 PM.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 202

Natekhsirv

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
BTT sucks.JiTouch rocks

I tried using BTT last year. Its gestures interfered with the native OSX gestures and the result were a frustrating mess. I use another software JiTouch and i ve got to say bTT is far inferior in functionality to Jt.Its a must add on for MagicTrackpad. Havent used it for MagicMouse so cnt comment

The best thing about JiTouch: You draw characters/alphabets like B and the browser opens. You draw S on trackpad and the webpage/file gets saved.endless configurations of shortcuts to alphanumeric characters :D:D:D:D:D:D
Foillowing are my JiTouch gestures

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-01 at 14.48.43.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-01 at 14.48.43.png
    868 KB · Views: 160
  • Screen Shot 2014-02-01 at 14.48.39.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-01 at 14.48.39.png
    781 KB · Views: 168
  • Screen Shot 2014-02-01 at 14.48.29.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-01 at 14.48.29.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 206

Natekhsirv

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013

See my post above to increase your 'power-use' exponentially :)

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
See my post above to increase your 'power-use' exponentially :)

Wow, haha I dont know about this application. I'll try it with the ''S'' to save a image.

Edit: I see it's a paid app, is there also a trail version? I'd like to try it out first. ^^

Last edited:

Natekhsirv

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
Wow, haha I dont know about this application. I'll try it with the ''S'' to save a image.

Edit: I see it's a paid app, is there also a trail version? I'd like to try it out first. ^^

No, although i purchased it immediately after a friend recommended me, there are several ;) cracked version available for testing it.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Oh yes, BTT is one of my favorite programs. In fact, I think I’ll go donate some money to the dev, because it is definitely worth paying for.

Anyway, here’s what I’ve got:

Cycling through tabs/windows/programs
Tap sequence [1-2-3-4]: ⌘⇧] (next tab)
Tap sequence [4-3-2-1]: ⌘⇧[ (previous tab)
3-finger swipe left: ⌘⇧` (previous window)
3-finger swipe right: ⌘` (next window)
4-finger swipe left: ⌘⇥ (previous program)
4-finger swipe right: ⌘⇧⇥ (next program)

Scrolling
3-finger swipe up: Page down (to match “natural” scrolling direction)
3-finger swipe down: Page up
4-finger swipe up: End
4-finger swipe down: Home

Utility taps/clicks
3-finger click: Middle click
4-finger click: Mute
3-finger double-tap: Show menubar in context menu (totally replaces Deja Menu)
4-finger double-tap: Show/hide mouse cursor
3-finger click-swipe up: Toggle large cursor

Navigation
2-finger tiptap middle: ⌘R (refresh)
2-finger tiptap left: ⌘[ (back)
2-finger tiptap right: ⌘] (forward)
Tip-swipe left finger up: ⌘0
Tip-swipe left finger down: ⌘9

Custom menus
Tap sequence [1-4-3-2]:
attachment.php

Tap sequence [3-2-1-4]:
attachment.php

While holding ⌥ (option)
Tap sequence [1-2-3-4]: Show desktop
Tap sequence [4-3-2-1]: Mission control
4-finger swipe up: Show desktop
4-finger swipe down: Mission control
4-finger swipe left: Show window switcher for active app
4-finger swipe right: Show window switcher for all open apps

Window snapping
3-finger tiptap left: Maximize window left
3-finger tiptap right: Maximize window right
Tap sequence [4-1-2-3]: Maximize window

Keyboard shortcuts while holding ⌘⌥⌃ (cmd-opt-ctrl)
Left arrow: Maximize window left
Right arrow: Maximize window right
Up arrow: Maximize window
Down arrow: Restore old window size
1: Resize window to top left quadrant
2: Resize window to top right quadrant
3: Resize window to bottom left quadrant
4: Resize window to bottom right quadrant
5: Center window
Shift-left arrow: Move window left
Shift-right arrow: Move window right
Shift-up arrow: Maximize window to top half
Shift-down arrow: Maximize window to bottom half
M: Show menubar in context menu
B: Show BTT preferences
P: Launch System Preferences

It’s also worth noting that I have remapped my control key to be cmd-opt-ctrl, which means that last batch of shortcuts I just have to hold my control key and press the other key.

(I made the caps lock key act as control when held and as escape when tapped, and I shunted the caps lock function off to the esc key in the corner. This was all done with KeyRemap4MacBook and PCKeyboardHack.)

Also in BTT I have a whole bunch of Finder-specific keyboard shortcuts that replace the standard actions for opening/navigating folders. The shortcuts are identical to the stock ones, but I added “Meubar item: View;Hide Toolbar” to each, because for whatever reason OS X always forgets that I want the toolbars to stay hidden in every window I open.

Attachments

• Menu1432.png
    Menu1432.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,305
  • Menu3214.png
    Menu3214.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,304
Last edited:

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Oh yes, BTT is one of my favorite programs. In fact, I think I’ll go donate some money to the dev, because it is definitely worth paying for.

Haha, awesome xD I though people who use your Mac can get really focused on how it works. :p You've made is so custom, only you know how to make it run properly. :p

I think it's great, the options with BTT seem endless.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Im trying to add the function to go back and forth in finder like in safari or app store, but what is the actual keyboard shortcut for that? I have been thinking about it for like 2 years.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Im trying to add the function to go back and forth in finder like in safari or app store, but what is the actual keyboard shortcut for that? I have been thinking about it for like 2 years.

It's ''command ['' for back and ''command ]'' for forward.
If you look at my screenshot for the finder commands on the first page, you can find it there as well.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
It's ''command ['' for back and ''command ]'' for forward.
If you look at my screenshot for the finder commands on the first page, you can find it there as well.

Oh, i see, but I'm on a european keyboard and theres no [ key :confused:

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012

?? I'm also on an European keyboard. xD There should be no difference though, US and UK keyboards mostly just differ with the shape of the enter key.

Anyway, it's this button:

Attachments

• apple-keyboard-british.png
    apple-keyboard-british.png
    290.8 KB · Views: 200

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
The short cuts still work. They are just unusable on a different keyboard.
On the German Apple keyboard Apple moved the [] away from the usual making them even harder to find and they don't label them. I think they are on 5, 6 with alt/option. I guess French should be something similar.
You can just switch to a standard US keyboard for the time to set BTT up. Then switch back.

Personally I alway like to make myself a custom keyboard layout as the standard is just the worst of both worlds.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
The short cuts still work. They are just unusable on a different keyboard.
On the German Apple keyboard Apple moved the [] away from the usual making them even harder to find and they don't label them. I think they are on 5, 6 with alt/option. I guess French should be something similar.
You can just switch to a standard US keyboard for the time to set BTT up. Then switch back.

Personally I alway like to make myself a custom keyboard layout as the standard is just the worst of both worlds.

its 8 and 9 alt [][][][][] like this :p

----------

?? I'm also on an European keyboard. xD There should be no difference though, US and UK keyboards mostly just differ with the shape of the enter key.

Anyway, it's this button:

There not like that on the swedish keyboard though.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
This is the swedish keyboard, typing alt command 8 just zooms in

Attachments

• swedishkeyboard.png
    swedishkeyboard.png
    172 KB · Views: 3,441

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
its 8 and 9 alt [][][][][] like this :p
One would think. 8,9 is where is on 100% of Windows notebooks and any default keyboard but not on the Apple one at least not the German. Here it is on 5, 6 which is cause for a lot of confusion because there is no label and one has to go hunt for those damn keys. Could be different on a Swedish layout although the standard Swedish looks almost identical to German.
There is also just no reasonable explanation for shuffling around those keys from where people would expect them.
attachment.php

softwind

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2013
It works perfectly on Mavericks 10.9.1.
I like this soft although there are many parameters to setup :)

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I'm having real trouble getting BTT to work. Used it a lot years ago, but some bug, I can't recall what exactly, meant I abandoned it. I'm trying to use it again but can't even get it to work on the simplest of things e.g. Safari.

Late '13 15" rMBP
Safari 7.0.3
BTT 0.996

I've enabled assistive devices, and BTT specifically, in Security & Privacy\Privacy\Accessibility\Allow Apps to control your computer.

I've disabled the appropriate trackpad clashes in the default System prefs re: Trackpad. I even tried disabling all default trackpad gestures.

But nothing, can't do a thing, whether it's app specific (e.g. Safari, Finder) or Global.

Any suggestions?

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
I'm having real trouble getting BTT to work. Used it a lot years ago, but some bug, I can't recall what exactly, meant I abandoned it. I'm trying to use it again but can't even get it to work on the simplest of things e.g. Safari.

Late '13 15" rMBP
Safari 7.0.3
BTT 0.996

I've enabled assistive devices, and BTT specifically, in Security & Privacy\Privacy\Accessibility\Allow Apps to control your computer.

I've disabled the appropriate trackpad clashes in the default System prefs re: Trackpad. I even tried disabling all default trackpad gestures.

But nothing, can't do a thing, whether it's app specific (e.g. Safari, Finder) or Global.

Any suggestions?

What kind of gesture are you trying? Is it with the magic mouse, or trackpad on the laptop?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
What kind of gesture are you trying? Is it with the magic mouse, or trackpad on the laptop?

I've given up now tbh, but it was relatively simple stuff on the trackpad and magic mouse, like swipes for ctrl+tab/ctrl+shift+tab in Safari to move between tabs for example.

Last edited:

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
I've given up now tbh, but it was relatively simple stuff on the trackpad and magic mouse, like swipes for ctrl+tab/ctrl+shift+tab in Safari to move between tabs for example.

Ah okay, srry for my late reply, I didn't check on this thread for quite some time. But this is very strange. I really don't know what might cause this, seems you did everything right + you unchecked the default gestures so they don't clash. Sounds maybe silly, but did a reinstall help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.