Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I bought rmbp 15 late 2013. It is the first mbp for me, that it had just a very thin paper between the screen and keyboard/body.
It is so thin and fragile, I guess in a few days will be disbanded.
I do no want to close the lid, without nothing between.
I know that they are very close to each other.
So, what could I put in?
Something to buy? Or just a paper? (cut by me in the right dimensions)

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I bought rmbp 15 late 2013. It is the first mbp for me, that it had just a very thin paper between the screen and keyboard/body.
So, what could I put in?

Well there's no need to. I just close my rMBP with nothing between the screen and keyboard :)

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I have put a keyboard protector/cover, but it is extremely thin(almost invisible, 0.1 mm thin).
I have a fear, if, in any case, the screen touch the keyboard.
I would like to put something there. Just to exist.

Also, during transportation, it is very likely that the keyboard protector will touch the screen, and this will make signs. So, there should be something between them, to be sure in all circumstances.

Last edited:

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
In the edge of the chassis of the screen, is this black line made from rubber? Does it prevent dust to get inside mac and reach screen and keyboard?

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Stop worrying and just enjoy the computer! You didn't buy it to baby it - you bought it as a tool.

Stop worrying.

drtran83

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2014
Cuba, MO
I understand where you are coming from. This is what I have in between my screen and my keyboard.

http://www.shaggymax.com/macbook-pro-swiper-15.html

I also have a uppercase keyboard protector that I got off of amazon

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
In the edge of the chassis of the screen, is this black line made from rubber? Does it prevent dust to get inside mac and reach screen and keyboard?

It serves two purposes: preventing dust from getting between the screen and keyboard, and also keeping the screen from resting right against the keyboard. Any marks that do appear on the screen can be wiped off just as fingerprints would be, there is nothing to worry about in this case.

borgqueens

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2013
Denmark
It serves two purposes: preventing dust from getting between the screen and keyboard, and also keeping the screen from resting right against the keyboard. Any marks that do appear on the screen can be wiped off just as fingerprints would be, there is nothing to worry about in this case.

But if you close the lid there is not suppose to get dust in ?
I only have the old MBP 13" from 2011 but never heard about or experienced any such problems. I´m not even carful when I close the lid down and display and keyboard still is and looks fine.

However since I do not have an rMBP I don´t know fore sure if dust can get in when the lid is closed.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
So, what could I put in?

You need nothing in between the screen and keyboard to prevent damage. If Apple doesn't even bother to add anything except a very thin sheet of paper for shipping your computer all the way from China in an airplane likely to be hit by turbulence, you simply closing the screen (as it was designed to do) is not likely to damage anything.

Seriously, people on here need to lay off the attention to minute details. There's a nice little rubber gasket around the screen so that there is not metal on metal contact when you close the lid. The screen is rigid enough to prevent it from bending enough to touch the keys unless you exert a rather large pressure on it.

Just use the computer as you see fit. The mere fact of using will make it dusty, unless you do so in a clean room. Don't bother with putting anything in there, if anything, you'll put un-needed pressure on the LCD by wedging something in there.

Mikespal

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
The Great Border City UK
Just use mine as I got it.Disposed of packaging,paper and anything else.No problem. No marks,very little dust(if any) Just used cloth that came with it for a quick and effective clean,

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
But if you close the lid there is not suppose to get dust in ?
I only have the old MBP 13" from 2011 but never heard about or experienced any such problems. I´m not even carful when I close the lid down and display and keyboard still is and looks fine.

However since I do not have an rMBP I don´t know fore sure if dust can get in when the lid is closed.

A month ago I had to pay a frankly absurd amount of money to replace the screen after I had put the laptop inside a hard cover, which was then inside my messenger bag; somehow a chip appeared in the middle of the screen, which made photo editing completely impossible.

Luckily, I got 5/6th of the expense covered by my insurance, but I still had to be without my computer for two weeks in a row.

Now I bought a ShaggyMax thingy for it, but I have a dog, and whenever I open my laptop at home I have to find somewhere to hide it from the dog - does anyone know of any way to fasten the thingy to the top of the computer so it just hangs off the back of the screen when not in use, and I can just swivel it into place whenever I close the laptop?

I've thought of only two possibilities; tape (which wouldn't stay fixed to the thingy) and thread (which wouldn't stay fixed to the laptop). combining the two, thread taped onto the laptop seems to be the best way, but I am loathe to try it, as the knot on the thread would actually be more dangerous to the screen than just leaving the Shaggymax off the laptop at all.

And yes, I am aware I am slightly overthinking this, but I literally open and close my laptop twenty or more times a day, and my dog is always with me, so this is something I have thought about a lot.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
A month ago I had to pay a frankly absurd amount of money to replace the screen after I had put the laptop inside a hard cover, which was then inside my messenger bag; somehow a chip appeared in the middle of the screen, which made photo editing completely impossible.

Luckily, I got 5/6th of the expense covered by my insurance, but I still had to be without my computer for two weeks in a row.

Now I bought a ShaggyMax thingy for it, but I have a dog, and whenever I open my laptop at home I have to find somewhere to hide it from the dog - does anyone know of any way to fasten the thingy to the top of the computer so it just hangs off the back of the screen when not in use, and I can just swivel it into place whenever I close the laptop?

I've thought of only two possibilities; tape (which wouldn't stay fixed to the thingy) and thread (which wouldn't stay fixed to the laptop). combining the two, thread taped onto the laptop seems to be the best way, but I am loathe to try it, as the knot on the thread would actually be more dangerous to the screen than just leaving the Shaggymax off the laptop at all.

And yes, I am aware I am slightly overthinking this, but I literally open and close my laptop twenty or more times a day, and my dog is always with me, so this is something I have thought about a lot.

Train your dog?

dest

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
UK
I think you're worrying too much!
I have a late 2011 MBP and its far from mothered, we have two lively dogs and do dog day care so have at least 3-5 dogs in the house every day.
My MBP has not got a single scratch or mark on the case or screen.

Just use it, close the lid and get on with worrying about more important things :)
Quite why you need to keep hidden from your dog I will never know, I use mine with one of our dogs sat on the arm of the chair right next to me, it doesn't cause any issues lol

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I have put a keyboard protector/cover, but it is extremely thin(almost invisible, 0.1 mm thin).
I have a fear, if, in any case, the screen touch the keyboard.
I would like to put something there. Just to exist.

Also, during transportation, it is very likely that the keyboard protector will touch the screen, and this will make signs. So, there should be something between them, to be sure in all circumstances.

Someone if trying to find the true meaning of what OCD stands for ? Look no further here is a classic example of what OCD means !

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
First of all, did none of you read that this has happened once already?
And second of all, I'm not worried, I'm annoyed that I have to keep hiding the thing.
Thirdly, I have a puppy, so I am in the process of training him.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
So, what could I put in?

I think you're worrying too much!
I have a late 2011 MBP and its far from mothered, we have two lively dogs and do dog day care so have at least 3-5 dogs in the house every day.
My MBP has not got a single scratch or mark on the case or screen.

Just use it, close the lid and get on with worrying about more important things :)
Quite why you need to keep hidden from your dog I will never know, I use mine with one of our dogs sat on the arm of the chair right next to me, it doesn't cause any issues lol

To be fair, the MBP screen is far less fragile than the rMBP. With the MBP there is a sheet of glass between the screen and you. On the rMBP the glass in front of you is the polariser of the screen and it is very thin.

That being said, Apple do not recommend using anything as a screen protector, this is because the polariser is fragile and the is not much of a gap between the case and the screen when the laptop is closed. Even a couple of pieces of paper with a staple through it placed on top of the keyboard with the screen closed against it will damage the screen, and you either have to replace the entire lid with screen, iSight camera and antennas or you have a very fiddly and time consuming job to replace the polariser, using heat and something to lever the polariser off without damaging the diffusers behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.