between the two, which MBP is best?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beachdawg, Feb 2, 2009.

1. beachdawg macrumors newbie

Which of these two machines would you say is better? or are they pretty equal? Would the more recent version hold its value longer? they are the same price...

15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display (newest model)
    2.4 GHz
    2GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

OR

15'' MacBook Pro (previous model/matte screen)
    2.6GHz
    2GB memory
    200GB hard drive(7200)/
    NVIDIA GeForc 8600 MGT

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I'd go for the newer one, unless you are serious addict to the matte screen. The case is vastly improved, and you don't have the whole Nvidia 8600 thing over your head. The faster bus and RAM on the newer one should make up for the loss in CPU speed, and either way it won't make much practical difference in the long run. Also, the hard drive is WAYY easier to change on the unibody.

3. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

FWIW I just went for the refurb option with exact specs (except for more ram) and so far am very pleased. Cost, lack of firewire and the screen on new ones were important factors for me. Admittedly I wasn't very aware of the nvidia issue but probably would have gone ahead anyway as :apple: states the 2.6 aren't supposedly affected.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

4. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Newer is better? Actually you need to try each and see which feels/looks better to you.

Some like the old keyboard, some the new.

5. beachdawg thread starter macrumors newbie

so the new machines don't have firewire anymore? I thought the MB was the only one missing it. I didn't realize that...if not, that could pose an issue since I prefer to use firewire to connect to my external HD.

I'm also in a toss up over the screens. I've been using a matte screen for 7 years as a graphic designer and I'm curious if I would like the glossy one. I've heard mixed reviews.

I definitely welcome any further recommendations tho...

6. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

The new (Unibody) MBP do have Firewire, FW800 to be correct. There's no FW400 however.. but I don't see any reason for wanting that. You can always use a FW400->FW800 cable when attaching such devices and since Firewire is daisy-chain-able it's no problem that they removed one port. It's a healty change IMHO.

Personally I'm really pleased with the new screen, good viewing angels and all nice and bright. It performs like I expected. It doesn't however have a chance of winning against my NEC AS-IPS screen. :)

My vote goes for the new model.. it's so much sturdier and prettier! :D

7. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

Sorry, my bad about the firewire. It's the new macbooks which have done away with it not the pros.