Beware 4.0.2 Destroyed iPhone Software (Not JB'd) Update: Solution discovered

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Zwhaler, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I tried updating to 4.0.2 tonight and it destroyed the software, sent it into recovery mode and I lost everything and have to restore. Just posting so people don't update I would advise against it because it isn't worth losing precious data that iTunes refused to back up before updating :mad:

Update: after attempting to restore the software it went straight back into recovery mode and the process is now repeating. I will let you know if the seecond attempt to restore works. Again I did nothing to warrant this glitch and it worries me that I might have lost my data.

2. Worf macrumors regular

3. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

No it was not jailbroken. Also, it finished trying to "restore", and when it finished it went straight back into recovery mode, claiming that an AppleScript error occurred. I think it was error 9, but I'm not sure.

4. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Third attempt failed and produced error 9. I'm not very pleased. I suppose I need an entirely new phone now. Thanks, Apple.

5. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

also, if you have access to another computer see if you can restore it on that then just recover from a back up on the original machine

7. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler