Beware about choosing the 42mm size

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by pflau, Apr 12, 2015.

1. pflau macrumors 6502

I went, I saw, and I tried them on.

I see many people say the 42mm is not too big. That was my first impression. However, after I repeated tried the 42mm and 38mm, I determined that my first impression is wrong. The 42mm, at least to me, is too big.

Why? That is because when they let you put the watch on, the band is usually a little loose, and the watch would fall over to the widest part of your wrist which is the wrist joint so the watch does not look too big. If that is how you usually wear your watch, a little loose, fine. But if you are like me who likes to wear his watch snug, the face of the watch would fall right on the narrowest part of the wrist, and the 42mm might look overwhelming.

After I asked the Apple guy to adjust the band of the watch for a snug fit, I found that the 42mm is indeed too big. Even though it looked good at first when it was draping down my wrist.

So make sure you have the band adjusted and wear your watch at the usual position on your wrist before you decide whether the 42mm is too big.

2. silvermx5 macrumors member

You're wright. Photos posted here reflect that several members don't know where is the proper place tho wear it (most the pics are from someone wearing it next to the hand, like a woman's bracelet). Other seem not to care to wear an iPhone screen on their wrist, others seem quite comfortable with the gap at each end where the bracelet attaches to case. I seems the big must is Size to see it (be seen) better and for the (presumably) better battery. Things like the the finish of the bracelet not matching the case, are irrelevant minutiae... Go figure...

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I'm still getting 42mm but I'm taking it to a local jeweler and have the top and bottom shaved off to reduce its height. I just can't deal with a smaller screen.

4. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Sorry, I can't agree with that. I have several watches that are far bigger and chunkier than the 42mm and i have no problems with those at all. I tried several 42mm watches with different straps during my try-on appointment and they were all fine. In fact, I think that a 46mm watch would have fitted me better.
    My wrists are average - 183mm

5. pflau thread starter macrumors 6502

Good for you. I just wanted to point out that you need to make sure you are wearing the watch at your natural position before judging. It is like trying on a tailored suit, you need to stand at your usual posture to see if the suit fits, not artificially straight.

6. Attonine macrumors 6502a

The recent trend has been for watches to be larger.

The only warning I'd put forward is that if you are not used to something of this size, and especially depth, be careful! I can guarantee there will be quite a few people complaining about the chunks they've taken out of either the watches or door frames as they move about!

7. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I think we are talking people with small wrist like 145-155mm. And about 2" wide.

183mm and yeah larger is fine, good choice;)

Again, I think some smaller wrist people are choosing size for the wrong reasons thinking they are going to get more real estate, the watched both display the same information, just different size text/images.