Beware and Help - CCC and real issues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PreetinderBajwa, Jun 21, 2009.

1. PreetinderBajwa macrumors regular

I have a 2008 July make MBP 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD – MBP. I upgraded the HDD to 500GB Samsung 2.5” disk a couple of months ago. I used Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) for creating a clone on the external 500GB Samsung Disk and then plugged it into the MBP using an authorized Apple service provider.:cool:

Since then I have seen 2 issues:

1. There was a Bluetooth and Airport firmware upgrade, I couldn’t do it... but when I booted from my original MBP Disk, it went through like a hot knife through butter.:(
    2. I wasn’t able to update my I-phone to OS 3, and when I went to I-tune on the bar at the top and said clicked for updates I kept on getting the message … cannot connect to I-tunes server and the same message used to come for updating the I-phone software... Check connection, cannot connect to server. However, I could download podcasts and albums and get the i-tunes genius to work without problem. :confused: Then I again plugged my original MBP disk and booted into it and got everything without a problem, the connection and the I-phone update to OS 3.:mad:
    3. I read someone making a comment that CCC etc are great but they interfere with such critical jobs because since they don’t perform some key setting up jobs. Like GUID partition etc……:eek:

There is something wrong and I can’t figure out what and why!!:confused:

Is there someway that I can keep my application, mailboxes, setting, files etc and still be able to correct what is wrong ? Something like disk utility to correct the structure, shape, content etc or boot and select backup and restore?:D:rolleyes:

Your inputs to get me out of this hole will be much appreciated.:eek:

Thanks in advance

Preet

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Did you partition the new drive with Disk Utility to use GUID partition table before cloning to it?

If not you could try cloning again, assuming you still have all the data on your old drive.

3. PreetinderBajwa thread starter macrumors regular

Recloning ?

Thanks Misterredman,:)

Is the suggestion that reclone the original disk again ? :eek:

I didn't do anything at all to the 500GB disk , all i did was run CCC on my 200GB disk and the target (send clone to/create clone on) was the 500GB disk. I though that the CCC will take care of the partition, partition type, structure etc automatically.:mad:

The thing is that currently I am using the 500 GB disk as the primary boot disk, since i got in installed in my MBP and everyhting works till I run across a problem where I am not able to do somethign and my instiunct is to connect the original disk and do the things I am not able to do. But this is not a nice way !!:mad::(

I still have the original disk in the way it was when I took it out, but since then I have used the 500GB disk and its got new mails (mail and entourage), downloads, updates etc on it. :( I know I am in a bit of pickle :D

That's why I was wondering if :

1. Leaving the 500GB disk installed as is now,
    2. I use the OSX DVD/CD and either do save and restore or
    3. I use the disk utility of OSX CD/DVD and correct some of the GUID / partitions etc... ( i hope i don't loose all the data when i do that because my worry is that OSX disk utility might just format and then re-install OSX) That would be a deeper hole because it will mean I have re-install applications, first create all backups of folders and e-mail in mail and entourage etc etc, :confused::eek:
    4. Maybe do as in point 3 and luckily it just craetes the partitiosn and corrects the structures/consitions on the disk and software and then do the stuff in point 2 , that might save the day.....

Your inputs and experience are more than welcome :):eek:

regards

Preetinder

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Just to be sure the partition table is not GUID, before doing anything else:

-open disk utility and select the whole disk on the right (not the single partitions, but the disk which include them)
    -check what is says in the bottom right corner as partition scheme.

It should report GUID. If not then the problem is not in CCC but in the fact that new drives come prepared for Windows and not for Mac.

In case you have to repeat the operation you have a few choices (after setting the correct partition map):

1)redo the cloning with CCC (I did it countless time and it always worked perfectly)
    2)install OS X from the original DVD and use migration assistant to import all the files and settings (also worked without problems for me)

A good thing to do when replacing a drive is to clone first to the new in ana external and immediately test everything before installing it in the mac. That way if something goes wrong you still have al the data inside the drive and the next time you try to clone you don0t have to worry about new data and emails.

If it's already GUID, then the problem must be elsewhere. I still think that a cloning again may solve the issue.