Beware Apple Store Sales Reps

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by illaspero, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illaspero macrumors newbie

I purchased a Mac last April 08 and have been blissfully trying to learn how to use it ever since, but enjoying the experience....... until last week.... Turns out while I was in the euphoric of getting my first "Mac" and had handed my Visa card over to the Rep...I was also signed up WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE for Mobile Me..... and as I have now come to find out got 18 months free and then without any warning wake up last week.... check my bank account as I do every morning... and there's a charge for over $100 for Mobile Me.....Now it has taken a week to finally get anyone to help me.... and even then it had to be in a Chat Transcript because Mobile Me customer service they say can't be reached by phone.. They're finally refunded me the money.... but I"m still out the over draft of $34.... I know its ONLY $34 ....... but to me it's the PRINCIPAL... I didn't want MobileMe.... I have never used it... didn't know I had it..... don't have an IPOD or an IPHONE, but the idea of someone signing me up WITHOUT disclosure for a product I would later be charged for irritates me to no end........
    When I called my bank to report it as a fraud I was told they were having many of these charges showing up that people were unaware of...... SO BUYER BEWARE of whats going on in your local APPLE STORE!

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

You should have a receipt that says exactly what you were charged for at the store.

3. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Mac Setup

Are you sure you didn't sign up for it when you set up your Mac the first time?

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I somehow doubt you were signed up for MobileMe as that requires making a password/user name. Call Apple and complain about the rep.

I'm calling BS, mainly because it sounds ridiculous and it's been typed in a manner that looks ridiculous.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you didn't order it in the first place, you can try arguing with your card provider to get the overdraft voided.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

What are you talking about?

The only thing "MobileMe" related that an Apple Store can do is sell you the box that contains an activation code.

That's it.

Sounds more like you signed yourself up for a free trial and forgot to cancel before it renewed.

There's no such promo as "18-months free". And it takes way more than just a credit card number to create a MobileMe account.

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

So what do you want us to do about it? Oh, and learn how to type and put a coherant paragraph together. It won't make you seem like a child and people might take your argument seriously.

P.S. It's iPod/iPhone, not IPOD IPHONE, but at least you got Mac right...:cool:

8. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Seriously?:confused:

Nothing in this story makes any sense... even the dates are wrong. If you bought your mac in April 08, and got 18 months free, then you wouldn't be charged until October.:rolleyes:

9. HBOC macrumors 68020

So it takes 15 months to learn how to use a mac?! Like others' have said, you must've signed up for the trial. When I accidentally click on the iDisk, it still asks me if I want to sign up for an account.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Perhaps the post should be beware of newbies who can't even count the number of months making false claims?

In addition, it doesn't take a year to learn OSX. People who switched are fine after a few hours. Studies show that it's easier to switch to OSX than Vista.

11. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

I am going to jump on the bandwagon here and call BS also. As for your overdraft issue that is nothing to do with Apple. Whether or not you were really charged for an item w/o your knowledge is one thing but if you ran your CC/Debit up/down of its fixed limit and if Apple did truly mischarged you... well thats your issue.

12. njl macrumors regular

13. RCGMac macrumors regular

First post FAIL OP.

1. April 08 until July 09= 15 Months not 18
    2. I don't know of any Mobileme trial that is 18 months long.

I am not really sure why people come on here to spout off untrue stories. Is it just to hear themselves talk?!

If this story is true, I am sorry OP, but nothing seems to add up.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's so detrimental, there are plenty of people who post on here now "after reading all these threads about ____ I'm concerned about buying _____." This story is just utterly not true.

15. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I tend to agree with everyone else and something smells a little fishy.

1. He would have received a ".Mac" box since Mobile Me didn't even exist 18 months ago. It's not like AppleCare where they will auto enroll you.
    2. Apple, to the best of my knowledge, had never offered 1 year free, so he would have paid something for .Mac. He should have noticed this 18 months ago since he's anal about checking his account every morning.
    3. By purchasing .Mac in the store, you need to go sign up and at the point they ask for a CC number to automatically renew your account. I've never entered one on my account.
    4. .Mac is good for 12 months. Granted Apple added a couple of extra months on to accounts because of the disaster of the migration, but I don't think it added up to 6 months.

16. bobbypotluck macrumors member

i ran into this problem back in the day when apple wasn't cool and got my VAIO desktop at best buy(back in 2001). Signed us up for some sort of MSN service without us knowing. A year or two later my mom questions the $20 charge on her credit card every month from Microsoft(dial-up service maybe? who knows), come to find we'd been charged around 400 over the course of two years. Luckily they checked and saw that the account was never accessed/set up, and refunded us. You don't hear about it as much now a days but some people just say yes when asked if they want a free trial of something. Buyer Beware.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This thread fails on every level. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

18. madog macrumors 65816

madog

6 months as far as I remember.

19. iGary Guest

iGary

20. waiwai macrumors regular

of epic proportions!

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

Definitely great advice, but in the case of Apple Retail Stores and MobileMe, they don't do anything like that. If you buy MobileMe, they'll charge you for a box (that contains a code YOU need to setup the service when you get home).

Apple Retail has no way to directly sign you up for MobileMe at the store, even if you wanted them to. :confused:

22. newcronos macrumors regular

It wasn't a typo, he was shouting.

23. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Does he have Tourette Syndrome??? Seems like an odd place to shout. Seriously. Say it out loud to yourself the way it's typed...it's kind of funny.

24. newcronos macrumors regular

I guess i forgot to put a smiley on my response :p

25. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Hey, that's not nice. Sometimes I have trouble CONTROLLING THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.