BEWARE! iPhone 4 Factory Unlocked on eBay - Fraud!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockerus, Jun 24, 2010.

1. rockerus macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm looking for a factory unlocked iPhone 4, so I search for it on eBay. By entering the search term "iphone 4 factory unlocked," you can easily see many listings of it. But I especially notice a (new) way of selling iPhone 4. Let me tell you some points that make me doubt that this is fraud.

1) The sellers I'm talking about are from UK. They require buyer to buy at least 2 or 3 iPhones at a time. But they list their items under MANY other eBay seller accounts, not their own account. And their listings only last for a short time (like 3-24 hours).

For example, here is an eBay listing of iPhone 4, under an account of a pharmacy store:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This seller has listed iPhone 4 under many different eBay seller accounts.

2) They only accept American Express, not PayPal. I asked them why, and they haven't answer me.

3) Moreover, they can't be reached by "Ask seller a question" function of eBay. You can only contact them via their email address.

4) When I ask them for some information, they seem to reply me in a template. For instance, I've asked 5 sellers some questions, and their answers are similar. Here is their original text:

Hi,

All phones are 100% original from Apple, Brand New , factory unlocked
    , in sealed boxes , with all standard accessories included .
    Each phone have 1(one) year international Apple Care warranty . The
    warranty is valid once you activate the phone.
    You can use the phones with any sim card in any country. I have both
    colors : black and white .
    I bought the phones from Apple Factory Foxconn and also this is the
    reason why i have low prices.

I can ship anywhere with UPS , DHL or FedEx with Air Express
    services(24h to 48h delivery) with tracking number. The delivery is
    free and there are no customs taxes(i can send as a gift or put a low
    value i can even write that i send shoes or cloths). I ship from UK.

I have more than 20 phones. The MINIMUM order is 3 phones .
    Also i have a special offer : Buy 5 phones and get 1 FREE
    I have them in stock and ready to be delivered.
    Let me know how many phones do you want to buy so we can talk about payment .

Thanks !

5) Moreover, when I asked them "Will the phone be activated automatically when I insert the SIM card?" they ignore this question. And instead of answering me, they give me a form which requires me to provide my information, like name, address, phone number, etc.

6) They bought the iPhones 4 directly from Foxconn in China, so they have the low price.

7) The way the transaction works is so weird, too. Let me show you sellers' original text:

Hi,

The total price for 3 Apple iPhone 4 32GB is 2100 USD.
    We will close the deal through eBay Buyer/Seller Protection Program. In this way we are both protected.

I will explain you how it works:
    eBay will contact us (seller and buyer) with payment and delivery instructions. You will have to send the money to eBay. Once they have your payment, eBay will notify me to start the delivery (it will take 24h to 48h to receive the package) and i will give you a tracking number after is done.

After you receive the phones , you have 7 days to inspect them to see if they are original , new , unlocked , working ...etc.
    If you are satisfied , you will notify eBay that everything is OK and they will send me the money .
    If you are not satisfied, send them back at my costs and eBay will cancel our transaction and you will get your money back in 24 hours.

Let me know if you are interested because i need some details from you in order to start this transaction .

Thanks

UPDATE!

I received an email from invoice@ebay-buyer-protection-program.com, which requires me to send money to them via Moneygram. Finally, I found that it is a scam. It's not eBay's email domain. So, beware.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

3. torid110 macrumors regular

I concur with the previous poster, but the phones do exist. I would probably be more trusting if they said they got one of the phones from a country that sells them unlocked (ex. Canada). Them getting it from foxconn directly seems suspect to me.

4. rockerus thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

UPDATE!

I received an email from invoice@ebay-buyer-protection-program.com, which requires me to send money to them via Moneygram. Finally, I found that it is a scam. So, beware.

5. rockerus thread starter macrumors newbie

And their item has been removed from eBay (check the link on the first post)

6. fener macrumors regular

7. Flint-Paper macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've been following this very same eBay ad for much of the day. It was up and got taken down again just about an hour ago or so. As of 30 June, 2010, I can tell you that they still have "more than 20 phones". With the lucrative buyer market for these phones, and the fact that they're selling them at a minimum of 3, 5 or 10 at a time, it seems highly unlikely that they'd have "more than 20 phones" five days later.

8. FlaZol macrumors newbie

:(

Hi,
    I bought two iphone 4 for this seller:
    ebay id: juliusworldmart, as:

Timotty Pollsen

timottypollsen@gmail.com

It is a scam.

I send the money for Aaron McBride on monday with MoneyGram. The seller, Timotty is not answering for my emails. What do i now?

I know, i was crazy, but i came an email from ebay, i talk live chat with an "ebay worker", etc...

9. mysticbluebmw macrumors regular

How could anyone seriously even have any doubt this was fraud. OMG, this is like being mugged, but more obvious, lol!

10. mysticbluebmw macrumors regular

Your money is gone. There is NO way to get it back. NEVER, NEVER use Western Union to pay anyone. You can contact your local authorities, as I don't know what country you live in. You're written English seems non-native.

They will probably not ever be caught, and even if some cyber crimes task force were to track them down, you will never see your money again, sorry.

11. aequitas1234 macrumors member

lol, exactly. There are about 10 indicators from the text alone that this is fraud.

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Foxconn is not allowed to sell iPhones on their own. All iPhones belong to Apple and they sell themselves or through their dealers. This has to be very shady or a scam. Forget about it. :eek:

13. Flint-Paper macrumors newbie

Yeah, the eBay ads I saw were less revealing, but it's obviously the same 'seller'. Same ad title, same MO. I think a lot of people are going to get swindled by this...

14. shivpaul macrumors newbie

Yup I too almost got scammed with this same exact BS. So everyone really, beware... If it looks too good to be true, it often is.

15. KingOfPwnage macrumors member

I was almost going to do this with two other friends. But after receiving the seller's emails and reading this thread, I will definitely not purchase the iPhones from him/her. Thanks OP for making this thread, you just saved me and my friends a crap ton of money! Still looking for an unlocked iPhone though, it will be tough. Hopefully when they are released in Canada, the ebay prices will come down substantially. Anyone know of anywhere else I could get a factory unlocked iPhone 4?

16. anand2 macrumors newbie

one more iphone4 scam

please reply with full details:

eBay user ID:
    first name:
    last name:
    address:
    city:
    zip code:

Waiting your reply.
    Thanks!

Subject: Re: Apple Iphone 4 add in ebay.
    To: "Kevin Cumve" <kcumve@yahoo.com>
    Date: Tuesday, February 8, 2011, 3:00 AM

HI Kevin,

It's cool. here are the details.

Regards

To:
    Sent: Tue, 8 February, 2011 1:13:49 PM

Hi,
    I propose to close the deal trough eBay, since they are the biggest and the most trustworthy online market place, under their Buyer Protection Program. Basically, it's similar to buying locally. My PayPal is overloaded and I can't use it. Anyway, in the way that we make the deal you will receive first the iPhones and you have 7 days available to check and to decide if you keep it or not. For payment we will use eBay Buyer Protection Program. eBay will contact you on email with the Payment Invoice. eBay will contact us (seller and buyer) with payment and delivery instruction.
    You will have to pay eBay ,the money will be sent to their holding account, and they will keep the money until you will receive the iPhones. After they inform me that they have secured your payment into their account, I'll deliver the iPhones to your address and pay the shipping myself. After you will test it, inspect it for 7 days and decide to keep it, they will forward the money to me once you have approved them to do so. If you won't like or if it is not as advertised, which I can assure you it won't be the case because this is new in perfect working condition the iPhones will be returned to me at my expense and you get full refund from eBay.
    To register the deal at eBay I need from you these info: eBay user ID, full name, address, city, zip code, country and your phone number . As soon you give me these details I will register the deal and eBay will send us invoices.
    Waiting your reply.

Thanks!

Date: Tuesday, February 8, 2011, 12:45 AM

HI kevin,

Ok, how do I pay for the phone? , how the item will be shipped and from where?

Regards

To:
    Sent: Tue, 8 February, 2011 9:44:46 AM

I am located in Canada with business. My PayPal is overloaded and I can't use it. Anyway, in the way that we make the deal you will receive first the iPhones and you have 7 days available to check and to decide if you keep it or not.
    If you are still interested please give me a reply to explain you more ..

Thanks!

Date: Monday, February 7, 2011, 10:24 PM

HI Kevin,

I need 3 phones.
    I Stay near to Lane cove in sydney,so I can come and collect it straight away.payment I can make it online.
    let me know when can come and collect.

Regards

To:
    Sent: Tue, 8 February, 2011 6:08:41 AM

Hi
    First of all please accept my apologize for the delay but I have too many customers. I have the best prices all over the internet ... please understand and accept my apologize for the delay.
    The phones are original, brand new and unlocked, in original boxes , never opened or used with all the accessories and are covered by 1 international year warranty ( Apple Care ) . The phones can be used in all networks without any problem ...

The price are these:
    Buy It Now 1 x Apple iPhone 4 32GB = $500 Buy It Now
    Buy It Now 3 x Apple iPhone 4 32GB = $1,300 Buy It Now
    Buy It Now 5 x Apple iPhone 4 32GB = $2,000 Buy It Now
    Buy It Now 10 x Apple iPhone 4 32GB = $3,200 Buy It Now
    Buy It Now 20 x Apple iPhone 4 32GB = $5,400 Buy It Now

Let me know if you have more questions and if you are still interested to make any deal?
    By the way, where are u located and where u want to send you the package ?!
    How many units you want to buy ?
    I will wait your reply..

Thanks!

Subject: Apple Iphone 4 add in ebay.
    To: kcumve@yahoo.com
    Date: Monday, February 7, 2011, 5:31 AM

Hi,

I saw the below add in ebay about the Iphone - 4 32 GB.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Apple-Phone-...61004?pt=AU_Mobile_Phones&hash=item33640acaec

I'm in Sydney can I come to your office and collect the Phone. I can do the payment online for 500$.

What's the address I need to come and collect.

Regards

17. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

They got you son. Never do wire transfers.

18. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Man people get so wrapped up in getting a phone that they buy from anyone.

19. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

"My Paypal is overloaded and I can't use it..." Yeah right, lol.

20. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

21. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

22. anand2 macrumors newbie

one more iphone4 scam

Got the Below e-Mail from e-bay.. ebay-payment@buyerprogrampurcahse.com.. LOL to make money transfer through Western Union.. It looks similar to the one sent by E-bay.. And there was a live Chat too. I was able to chat with a guy who was trying to convince me and pay for the phone..

with atmost frustration I reply to him with all the bad words in this world.
    after that my live chat id was blocked :)

Add to Contacts

eBay sent this message to
    Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.

Congratulations - eBay Transaction #1797402737765 Started

Seller Details:
    Name: Kevin Cumve
    Address:
    4321 Saint James Drive
    York, PA 17401
    United States

Buyer Details:
    Name:
    Address:

Item Title: Lot of 20 Apple iPhone 4 32GB Factory Unlocked

Brand: Apple Model: iPhone
    Quantity: 3 Date: 08/02/11
    Sale Price: US $1,300.00 Transaction fees:
    US $0.00 (paid by seller)
    Shipping Cost:
    US $0.00 (paid by seller)
    Total Price: US $1,300.00

*Please check the details for an accurate delivery in order to avoid delays.

Payment Instruction

eBay requires the payment for this item to be done through Western Union transfer service
    How to make the payment:
    1. Locate the nearest Western Union Office.
    2. Make the payment with cash using the above eBay Trading Assistant information.
    3. Fax the payment receipt to eBay Marketplace
    Financial Department at: +1 800 507-1597

*We strongly recommend that you confirm the payment by Live Help or Fax.
    Note: Do not reply to this email.
    Contact the seller if you have any questions about the sale at: kcumve@yahoo.com .

When payment is received, it will be verified and secured into a non-interest bearing trust account. Payment verification process usually takes less than 24 hours. After payment is secured, the Seller is authorized to ship item. Your funds will not be released to the Seller until you have received and approved the merchandise you are purchasing.
    The Buyer receives the item and has 3 business days to inspect it. If it is complete and as described, the Buyer should accept the item. If he refuses the item, the Buyer must ship the item back to the Seller within 10 business days.
    After the inspection period is over, the Buyer must contact eBay Marketplace Customer Support with the result of the inspection. If the Buyer refuses the item, the refund will be sent to the Buyer after the tracking number for the returned shipment is verified. If the item is accepted, eBay Marketplace Financial Department submits the payment directly to the Seller within 3 business days.
    eBay Agent Details:
    Full Name:

Simon Lance
    Address:
    61 Wenlock Terrace
    Zip/Postal Code:

AB42 4EN
    City/State:

London

United Kingdom

Amount to be sent: US $1,300.00
    Help

For any questions you can contact eBay Transactions Customer Support by replying to this e-mail.

Please use the following button to chat with an eBay agent right now.
    Live Help

Regards,
    Safe Harbor Department (Trust and Safety Department)
    eBay Inc.

23. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

"no customs taxes I will put that I'm sending shoes"

can't wait until one of their shipments gets chosen for a random search...

24. bwrairen macrumors 6502

For the poster that bought from this guy.....don't ever buy anything on the internet again. There are so many flags in that process, and you couldn't pick up on at least 1....you should just give up now.