BEWARE macbook owners

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gooser, Feb 5, 2016.

1. gooser macrumors 6502

several news sources are reporting today the dangers of using cheap usb-c cables and frying their macbooks.

2. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

People buying cheap USB and chargers will only fry their laptop and phones! You can purchase 1000.00+ laptop but can't spare a little extra for an Apple USB? Reminds me of those people who drives BMW and pump at AMPM or some cheap gas station.
    Take care of your stuff. Don't complain and cry when your stuff stops working because you chose to buy something cheap for it.

3. Laurie65 macrumors member

Never had that problem and never will. I buy my cables at the Apple store only. IMHO if you are smart enough to buy a Mac then you should be smart enough to buy cables from Apple only. Yes Apple is expensive but the peace of mind is well worth the price. If you fry your Mac with a cheap cable then you get exactly what you deserve.

4. in Cider macrumors member

in Cider

I have bought off brand type-c cables for their shorter length/black casing and never had a problem, but I've steered clear of the ones that didn't have several good reviews by existing rMB owners.

5. lite426 macrumors regular

I also saw an article on this today. I was concerned as I have the Nonda USB-C to USB-A adapter and it wasn't listed on the spreadsheet of known to be safe products. So I decided to directly ask the Google engineer Benson Leung about it, he said he has one and confirmed it's safe so my mind is at rest!

6. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

Don't know your gas stations but in the EU gasoline is regulated, so you get the same quality and can't damage your car.

But yeah, cheap cables are an unnecessary risk. Just spend a few dollars/euros/whatever more and avoid a bricked device or a burning house.

7. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Even if they are warranty replaceable, I wish the quality was better. I seldom use Apple stock any more.
    I will be looking closely though before I get new cables.

8. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I own a BMW and I pump at ARCO, but I don't have any non-Apple cables. I completely disagree with your analogy.
    http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

9. WstCstCmtr macrumors member

Wow. Marketing sure worked on you! ARCO gas is cheaper because they don't take credit, not the quality of the fuel.