Beware - Newer AmazonBasics lightning cables are rubbish

jeremysteele

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Hey all,

I have an iPhone 5s. The original Apple cable is going strong - even with daily use (after two years). An older AmazonBasics cable is still fine after a year.

Wanted to get some longer cables so I purchased two six-footers from Amazon and both of them failed after 8 weeks. Oddly enough - the newer cables seem to have a thicker design.... but apparently it doesn't help anything.

According to the CS rep I spoke to he gets about a dozen calls a day about them failing (all the same story, after 1-2 months they just stop working).

Ah well. If you are going for a new cable spend a little more and get a different brand. My old AmazonBasics works fine - but these new ones are just garbage.

Update: Finally spoke to the right person and they gave me a refund. So at least there's that. Can anyone recommend any other good cable brands (aside from Apple OEM) ?

Last edited:

btbam91

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2015
Amazon cables are excellent in my experience. I have 2 in my backpack, one in the car, and another in the bedroom.

I highly recommend them.

Comment

jeremysteele

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Amazon cables are excellent in my experience. I have 2 in my backpack, one in the car, and another in the bedroom.

I highly recommend them.
When did you get yours? My old AmazonBasics lightening cable is awesome, but apparently they changed their design (thicker wires, more robust connector) ~3-4 months ago and are having some failure issues.

Amazon didn't want me to return mine (just refunded it, no return needed) - so I took it apart earlier. The wires are all perfectly fine, so the thicker cabling they use now seems to be doing its job. The lightening cables all use a little chip in them - I suspect they switched suppliers or something with their redesign a few months back. It's a shame - can't beat their price!

Comment

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Anker is always good. I recently reviewed
Hey all,

I have an iPhone 5s. The original Apple cable is going strong - even with daily use (after two years). An older AmazonBasics cable is still fine after a year.

Wanted to get some longer cables so I purchased two six-footers from Amazon and both of them failed after 8 weeks. Oddly enough - the newer cables seem to have a thicker design.... but apparently it doesn't help anything.

According to the CS rep I spoke to he gets about a dozen calls a day about them failing (all the same story, after 1-2 months they just stop working).

Ah well. If you are going for a new cable spend a little more and get a different brand. My old AmazonBasics works fine - but these new ones are just garbage.

Update: Finally spoke to the right person and they gave me a refund. So at least there's that. Can anyone recommend any other good cable brands (aside from Apple OEM) ?
I just tagged you on a cable I reviewed not too long ago. It's great.

Comment

SgtPepper23

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Los Angeles, California
Can't go wrong with Monoprice. They've got a wide variety of cable lengths and colours. I've purchased several, but unfortunately they started to peel from the head. The one that recently had that happen to me is out of warranty, otherwise I'd phone them and get a replacement. They've got great customer service

Comment

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Can't go wrong with Monoprice. They've got a wide variety of cable lengths and colours. I've purchased several, but unfortunately they started to peel from the head. The one that recently had that happen to me is out of warranty, otherwise I'd phone them and get a replacement. They've got great customer service
MonoPrice is usually a great deal, and their customer service is generally fantastic, but I've had a few issues with cable longevity/reliability.

Comment

btbam91

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2015
When did you get yours? My old AmazonBasics lightening cable is awesome, but apparently they changed their design (thicker wires, more robust connector) ~3-4 months ago and are having some failure issues.

Amazon didn't want me to return mine (just refunded it, no return needed) - so I took it apart earlier. The wires are all perfectly fine, so the thicker cabling they use now seems to be doing its job. The lightening cables all use a little chip in them - I suspect they switched suppliers or something with their redesign a few months back. It's a shame - can't beat their price!
I've purchased all my cables between September and November of last year.

Comment

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
Anker cables are amazing...best I've found. I bought a couple lightning and micro-USB cables for home, car and work.

Comment

d5aqoëp

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2016
I ordered Aukey MFI lightning cables from aliexpress. The Aukey direct seller is having 2-5$ coupons if you use through mobile app, they came down to $4 per cable.

Use the mobile app.

Link to Aukey aliexpress store here

Comment

Nancy bout

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2013
Still have mine but make sure they don't bend- lol
My older one didn't break off but the newer one did break off (due to bending) not me- my 8 year olds iPad lol
I have 6 iPhone chargers- 2 Apple ones rest are diff

Comment

andreaperkins

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2016
Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Hey all,

I highly recommend the Anker Powerline Lightning cables. They come in various lengths. The Anker cables are very durable, reliable, and customer service is the best!

http://www.amazon.com/anker
https://www.anker.com

Comment

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
Where I work we have a lot of company iPhones and I was buying lots of the Amazon Basics cables but I started having issues with them so I switched to Anker and they seem to be much better quality.

Comment

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Another one for Anker - I love their products. Their cables are much stronger than OEM and their customer service is fantastic

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.