Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apockalipse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
It's fair to claim that it's more people like you who perpetuate the problem with credit issuers: making assumptions, not checking, and then complaining loudly when it doesn't go the way you thought it would when the documentation was under your nose the whole time.

I think there is a big difference between missing the fine print on an agreement and what occurred here. The changes that occurred had nothing to do with me not reading the fine print. I was completely aware of the terms that I originally agreed to. The only assumption I made was to believe that the contract I originally entered into would be honored. I'll take credit for that mistake. As far as catching it now or 6 months ago, there isn't much of a difference. It was the same amount of grief and it only took a phone call to get it fixed. The purpose of this thread was just to warn others to be on the lookout and make sure that if you see something funny, you call out the company and not just complacently accept it.

Alexjones

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
I am financing through Barclays and they are very easy to do business with. I make my payments on line with a very simple interface and its done. With all the bad mouthing going on about banks, I want to thank Barclays for being there when i needed them. Very easy to deal with. All the online info is very easy to understand. The Customer service is very friendly, And no im not a shareholder.

sdericmonty

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
hey guys how long did it take to get charged? i bought a macbook pro in august and got my barclay account set up and started making payments. but i still have not been charged and the card will not let me make any more automatic payments because i have a positive balance on my account.

i did all the paperwork at apple and got the computer the same day. i noticed on the receipt there was a different account number then my barclay account number. i dont know if this has to do with the fact that i got the student discount and i just got my rebates (three months later) i am wondering if it took anyone else a long time to get charged for it. was there different account numbers on the receipt then on your card?

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Thanks

As some one who gets your initial intent, thanks.

I was contemplating using it to buy a new MBA and held back. Now, if I change my mind I'll know to watch for it.

It's a bit disengenuous to say, "Read the fine print." Just say thanks and move on. Catching it in your statement doesn't change the OP lesson learned, only the timing.

In a big picture point of view, the timing is irrelevent. For those still not catching on, it doesn't matter if he caught it Day 2 or day 62. It's still something to watch for and you may have to rectify....on day 3 or 63. Get it?

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Wanna know something almost as dumb? :)

When I first tried to buy a MacBook Pro online, I noticed the Apple offer of special financing, and applied for it. The reply was that I already had an account that I could use...which I couldn't figure out.

Turns out I had an old Barclay card that I'd forgot about, no balance on it, never used.

I called and they openly and freely told me that they'd be happy to cancel the card that I had, and if I'd wait 24 hours I'd be able to apply for the new card and get my machine online.

Weird, huh? Waste of time, eh?

No idea why they couldn't just use the card I already had.

But that's the only "problem" I've had with them, and in the real scheme of life's problems, this is no problem.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
Avoid the same no interest for 18 months at BestBuy, make a long story short I made all payments ontime but one was post marked with enough time but because they did not process it the Friday they received it and waited until Monday when it was due on Sunday they attempted to charge me all the interest, a late fee, and request I either pay in full or continue to pay their 29.99% which I just paid in full. After arguing with them and proving the envelope was post marked in enough time, I won, didn't pay a penny in fees or interest, however HSBC bank is sneaky so buyer beware.

Honestly who stills mails their bills in an envelope? Why would you not just pay online? It's instant and you get proof.

Alexjones

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Xlii wrote: All banks are crooks and Barclays is one of the worst.

Just make your payments on time and they leave you alone. Try to make at least 4 times the minimum and they will luv you. I don't love Barkleys, But they were there when i needed them.

Last edited:

Stvwndr219

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Well, the printer and the macbook are two separate items... Wouldn't that give them grounds for making it two different orders?

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Well, the printer and the macbook are two separate items... Wouldn't that give them grounds for making it two different orders?

No. That's like saying I buy a MacBook pro and 2 software titles at the same time. All those should be on the same transaction not 2 or 3.

DeputyRob

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Upper Midwest
I purchased a new Macbook Pro last April. I could have paid for it up front at the time, but I decided to take advantage of the no interest financing terms available at the time and earn some interest on the money I would have spent up front.

They were offering no interest for 6 months on your first purchase of under $900. No interest for 12 months on your first purchase from $900 - $2500. And finally no interest for 18 months on your purchase of $2500 or over. All you have to due was pay the minimum every month and have you balance paid in full by the end of your deferrment period.

The financing is offered thru Barclay Visa. I applied for the card and go online to pick out my merchandise. After getting the configuration I wanted and adding on the protection plan I am just a bit (about $150 or so) under $2500. I needed a new printer anyway so I added that on to bring my total just over $2500. I am expecting that I will just be making minimum payments for the next 18 months since my first purchase is over the requirement.

I immediately set up automatic payments with Barclay for the minimum each month. I also set up a calendar notice for myself to go off 2 months before the 18 month deferrment period ends so that I will not forget to payoff the balance. So I thought, there was nothing to worry about for the next year and a half.

Cut to 6 months later, and I notice that I have been charged a finance charge from Barclay for interest. I call Barclay thinking that they just must have made a mistake. I am informed that Apple broke my original order up into 2 orders (eventhough I made a single order at the time). One order was for just under $2400 and the other for just under $200. Since they were separated like this, Barclay told me that I didn't qualify for the 18 month deferrment. Instead, the $2400 portion was deferred for 12 months and the $200 portion was deferred for 6 months. Since I didn't have the balance paid off on the $200 portion yet, Barclay charged me all the interest on that part.

I am not done dealing with both Apple and Barclay on this issue. However, as it stand now this seems like a very deceptive practice to me. How is the consumer supposed to know that Apple will break a single order up into multiple orders? If they would have spelled this out, I would have either never financed or else paid the proper balance for the $200 portion on time. The interest on the $200 is not that much but it is the principle of the whole thing that really irritates me. If it had not been for Mint.com notifying me of the finance charge, I might have never noticed. Then when the larger balance of $2400 became past due in April 2011, instead of November 2011 like I was expecting, I would have been hit with with several hundred dollars in interest fees! This is bad business and almost amounts to what seems like an outright scam to trick you into missing your deferrment deadlines and paying several hundred extra dollars.

I will be complaining to both companies to see how they respond to this and I will update once I get more info.

Just be forewarned that the terms of your financing may not be what you think you are actually agreeing to.

I just got suckered on this, too. But here's what's fishy: I spent $2540.73 at once and I even have the Apple bill to prove it. But calls to Barclay VISA and Barclays claims there was NO 18-month no-interest offer in effect during the early part of 2010 and your post has proven I'm not crazy. There was, indeed, such an offer. With that said, do you happen to have the original finance terms spelled out on paper? If so, can you send those to me (via whatever means you'll willing to employ) so I can fax them to Barclays? Please, please, please? I'm being charged $374.00 in interest and they're telling me there's NO wiggle room.

Enders Shame

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
Me as well

I just got suckered on this, too. But here's what's fishy: I spent $2540.73 at once and I even have the Apple bill to prove it. But calls to Barclay VISA and Barclays claims there was NO 18-month no-interest offer in effect during the early part of 2010 and your post has proven I'm not crazy. There was, indeed, such an offer. With that said, do you happen to have the original finance terms spelled out on paper? If so, can you send those to me (via whatever means you'll willing to employ) so I can fax them to Barclays? Please, please, please? I'm being charged $374.00 in interest and they're telling me there's NO wiggle room.

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me. They told me 18 months (the only reason I went with the deal). I had 18 months planned and then they hit me with the interest at 12. I too purchased a computer well over $2600. If you are able to find that documentation, I too am interested. Seems like such a scam to me... You wonder how a reputable corporation like Apple can possibly feel good about associating their company name with a bank as horrid as this Barclaycard...? Its crazy.

DeputyRob

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Upper Midwest
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me. They told me 18 months (the only reason I went with the deal). I had 18 months planned and then they hit me with the interest at 12. I too purchased a computer well over $2600. If you are able to find that documentation, I too am interested. Seems like such a scam to me... You wonder how a reputable corporation like Apple can possibly feel good about associating their company name with a bank as horrid as this Barclaycard...? Its crazy.

I filed a complaint through the Delaware Better Business Bureau. Barclay continues to maintain there was NO 18-month offer (even though I, and many others, KNOW there was!) but, through the BBB complaint, they ultimately extended my payoff period to 18 months and refunded my interest charge. I suggest you give it a whirl and see how it shakes out.

PatM

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
I did one of the Barclay deferments. Worked out great for me. I had the money up front and let it earn 3% interest in my checking account while I paid 1/12 of my balance each month.

Each statement spelled out exactly and clearly what was deferred and for how long. I suspect the OP wasn't paying enough attention.

Wow 3% interest. Where was that at? I don't know of any 3% interest rates on any checking account. Even in Nov 2010. What a deal.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Wow 3% interest. Where was that at? I don't know of any 3% interest rates on any checking account. Even in Nov 2010. What a deal.
1st Financial CU in St. Louis. They started at 5% a few years ago, but by this summer they have gone down to 1%. Nevertheless, it was nice while it lasted and netted me over $1000.

MacFan9

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
Beware of Barclays

Beware of them. I don't think this is an issue with Apple as much as it is with Barclays and what I consider to be borderline deceptive practices or their customer service organization just not knowing the terms. Here is my recent issue.

I called to cancel my Barclay Visa card that I used to purchase my first Apple product, a Macbook Air. I applied for the Visa card in April 2011, was approved, purchased the product with no interest per the promotion, paid off the balance and was never charged interest. My reason for canceling was that I simply did not want to have a credit card with 22% interest.

When I called Barclays to cancel, their Customer Service rep assured me that the deferred interest (basically zero interest if paid within the prescribed time) was valid for subsequent purchases and that is maybe a reason I wanted to keep it. As I was looking to purchase a new iPhone 4S from the online Apple store, I decided to keep it.

When I went to Apple to purchase it, I noticed they indicated the special financing was only for first time purchases. I sent a message via my secure message service from within my online Barclays account inquiring about this and the email response back was that subsequent purchases did NOT qualify for the special financing terms. I called Barclays back and the Customer Service rep indicated that the email response was in error and that subsequent purchase DID qualify.

I then called Apple and spoke to someone who indicated that subsequent purchase were NOT qualified for the special financing terms. I then called Barclays back to cancel my card as the different answers I got from Barclays created a trust issue for me. Their Customer Service rep indicated again that subsequent purchase DID qualify. I finally got them to cancel the card.

Bottom line is that if I would have listened to Barclays and made my purchase, I would have incurred a finance charge.

And people wonder why their is a trust issue with Big Banks....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.