Beware of falling geese

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Beware of falling geese
A Swedish hunter spent two days in bed after being knocked unconscious by a Canada goose that landed on his head.

The goose had been flying about 20m up in the air when it was shot by Carl Johan Ilback, who was hunting with his father, Ulf.

When the goose dropped from the sky, it hit Ulf Ilback in the head and knocked him out.
Couldn't find this posted on the boards, but following this weeks gator and dog as shark bait wanted to continue the animal trend.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Duck! where?

Well I was [sort of] attacked by ducks this afternoon as i skated along the Serpentine Road in Hyde Park... no joke!!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
dietcokevanilla said:
Well I was [sort of] attacked by ducks this afternoon as i skated along the Serpentine Road in Hyde Park... no joke!!

I believe you. They're evil little sods sometimes, the swans too... love Hyde Park, though.

However, I can imagine a goose being quite heavy. Whenever you see them in the supermarket they're usually very large birds.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
you'd think they'd be more concerned about what happened after they shot the geese....

almost a Darwin Award there :D

D

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
Sure they weren't Canadian geese? They're scary too.
well it wasn't a dead one and it didn't quite land on my head and knock me unconscious.... but near enough...

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
Sure they weren't Canadian geese? They're scary too.

I take my nephew to see the local duck pond sometimes.

the geese have ATTACKED me. Terrifying little buggers.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
This is why I always try to keep myself on big, aggressive birds good side:
Man. Whatever you're feeding that goose looks, like, really good. All ridged and suggestive of deliciousness ...

My stupid students talked me into "Fasting for Darfur." I'm so hungry ...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
thedude110 said:
Man. Whatever your feeding that goose looks, like, really good. All ridged and suggestive of deliciousness ...

My stupid students talked me into "Fasting for Darfur." I'm so hungry ...
It's Belgian waffles, excellent as a snack or lunch, or as dessert with ice, cream and/or jam.

It's not actually a goose I'm feeding, but a swan. So even it it's a bit off topic I felt it appropriate to share...

I've been chased by both geese and swans, more than once, but I've always managed to outrun the geese. The swans, on the other hand, are fast and mean and managed to catch me and bite. Much harder than you'd think.

I've also been bitten by an ostrich, but that's another story.

I think birds get hostile (unless I bribe them) because they feel that I'm a cat person. :p ;)

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
This is why I always try to keep myself on big, aggressive birds good side:
so that really is you in your avatar?!!

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
And Google Ads outdoes itself -- the banner ad when I read this said "Got Geese? We Can Help" with a link to The Geese Police. :D

Geese are indeed not small birds. I remember the first time I saw wild geese up close, thinking "Those are not the tame white birds from the picture books!" Really beautiful, though.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Did anybody else read this and think of the classic WKRP in Cincinnati episode in which the radio station had a big Thanksgiving turkey giveaway...and did it by dropping live turkeys from a helicopter?

News reporter Les Nessman:

“It's a helicopter, and it's coming this way. It's flying something behind it, I can't quite make it out, it's a large banner and it says, uh - Happy... Thaaaaanksss... giving! ... From ... W ... K ... R... P!! No parachutes yet. Can't be skydivers... I can't tell just yet what they are, but...oh my God, Johnny, they're turkeys!! Johnny, can you get this? Oh, they're plunging to the earth right in front of our eyes! One just went through the windshield of a parked car! Oh, the humanity! The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!"
To which station manager Arthur Carlson, who planned the event, had the horrified capper line:

"As God is my witness...I thought turkeys could fly!"

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Thomas Veil said:
Did anybody else read this and think of the classic WKRP in Cincinnati episode in which the radio station had a big Thanksgiving turkey giveaway...and did it by dropping live turkeys from a helicopter?
Now that you mention it... I really used to adore WKRP. Showing my age... :eek:

A classic episode though. Up there with Mary Tyler Moore's 'Chuckles bites the dust' :)

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Thomas Veil said:
Your post made me think of it. Yes, that was a very amusing and memorable episode.

I bought new tapes yesterday for the VCR. As I sorted through others earlier to eliminate the oldest, I almost discarded one taped on 11-29-04 but never watched. It contains 14 episodes from a Three Stooges marathon. Thankfully, an index card was tucked inside the box thus avoiding a tragedy. Mindless material lives to see another day. :)

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Blue Velvet said:
However, I can imagine a goose being quite heavy. Whenever you see them in the supermarket they're usually very large birds.
They are heavy - upto 12kgs or so, and falling from 20m has got to hurt.
My girlfriend, being Danish, says this sums up the Swedes pretty well :D