Beware of FastMac.com

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by John Musbach, Sep 13, 2008.

1. John Musbach macrumors regular

On the 8th of this month I placed a order with them for a MacBook TruePower battery since the one that came with my macbook from Apple was not lasting long enough for my needs. The next day (the 9th) the order entered processing status, 4 days later and it's still in processing status (http://i34.tinypic.com/2z5m87o.jpg). This wouldn't be all that bad except that they've charged my credit card for the order (http://i34.tinypic.com/2z73j2o.jpg) and have not been on their aim support contact nor answered their phones. I will try contacting them one more time this Monday before having my bank perform a charge back. Buyer beware!

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've run into situations that the vendor I purchased from took longer than I expected to ship, and didn't do a wonderful job of keeping me informed.
    But I still got it, and it wasn't too long a wait.

I didn't notice any indication of product stock. Maybe they're out?

Certainly try calling again.

You can also do a Who-is search online. This is quite useful in checking on sites you may suspect as bogus. :)

I entered in fastmac.com. It looks legitimate, so I don't think there is a need to panic. :cool:

Good Luck. :D

3. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Looking at archive.org they appear to have been around for a while.

If you made the purchase off a real credit card, don't sweat it your bank will cover you on the charge back if they end up not being legit.

If you made it on a debit card, depending on bank might have some trouble. Might want to contact them right away to find your options.

Regardless, try to call them on Monday and try back every few hours if you have to.

4. John Musbach thread starter macrumors regular

I got someone on the phone today and they said that their system reports it as being shipped today even though from what I can see it still hasn't moved. I'll wait a week and update here. Crossing my fingers that the product comes.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

FastMac is a reputable company that has been around for many years. While it looks like they could improve their customer service policies and tools a bit, I wouldn't worry about your order...it'll arrive. :)

6. John Musbach thread starter macrumors regular

I was able to get the tracking # today so it looks like everything will turn out ok, it was just a little unnerving that they don't update the client accessible order status page like they should

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

This isn't that uncommon, unfortunately. I've even made orders, never to receive a tracking number. But they did show up in a reasonable amount of time.

That's life I guess...:rolleyes: :p

8. John Musbach thread starter macrumors regular

Well the battery came today in working condition so I'm happy, guess I shouldn't be so alarmed when the online order status isn't kept up to date. Rather I should call support during business hours to see what's up, lesson learned. Thanks FastMac.com for the extended life macbook battery! :)