Beware of Incase Hardshell

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madisonfaye, Jul 7, 2011.

1. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

I bought an Incase Hardshell for my MPB 15", and while it looked really nice it was nearly impossible to get off! I knew it would be hard, but I didn't think it would be that hard.

After reading a ton of suggestions to get it off I ended up having to use a butter knife wrapped in a kitchen towel. The knife left a small scratch but it isn't a huge deal. Took about an hour to get off.

Just wanted to warn people who were considering these that they are hard to remove! I probably wouldn't have put one on if I had known, just a heads up!

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

is this the perforated case? Mine isn't THAT difficult to remove...especially after the first time you take it off

3. scboxa macrumors member

the perforated might be different. but yeah i heard alot of stories about the hardshell case being a effing mission to get off. i also heard it leaves scratches from dust getting underneath after a while use.

4. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i bought the perforated case for my mbp 15. i gave up on putting it on as i worried it will actually damage my mbp more than protect it.

returned it.

i put so much force to take it off because it was half on... i hope it didn't damage my mbp... :(

5. scboxa macrumors member

just buy a incase sleeve, I bought one very good quality.

6. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

+1 on the Incase sleeve! I was looking at the hard cases as I like to protect my devices, but I ended up going with Incase's deluxe protective sleeve and just leaving my MBP naked. The deluxe has a pleather feel to it and is lined in soft faux fur. The zippers are also protected on the inside so you do not scratch your aluminum case. I love it!

It's actually funny because I generally do not keep my electronics naked. My iPhone has an Otterbox Defender on it as I was absolutely paranoid that I was going to drop the thing and it would shatter. LOL! With the laptop, it's a lot easier to be very careful. I had my previous HP laptop for 4 years and people would still sometimes ask me if it was new it was in such good condition.

Anyway, in my opinion the Incase sleeves are the way to go! Good luck!

7. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

I haven't noticed any difficulties removing my incase perforated on my current 2011 15" MacBook Pro.

However, I use to have a speck matte hard shell and it was near impossible to get it off. I returned the speck for the incase.

8. madisonfaye thread starter macrumors regular

madisonfaye

Sorry mine was the standard Incase hardshell (non perforated). I just couldn't believe what a mission that was I was nearly crying I was so frustrated!

I bought a Speck cover as well (the see thru satin) and I'm a bit scared to try it out.

I have the incase sleeve as well, and while I don't understand why the zipper touches the laptop I still love it :) I put felt on the inside on the metal zippers so they wouldn't scratch the macbook

9. ///KM macrumors member

I have the Incase Hardshell (non-perf) and had no problems taking it off. I just tilted the MBP a little on its side and pulled on the tabs, gravity pushed the laptop forward and off the tabs. I've taken it off several times to upgrade my MBP with RAM, SSD, etc and I didn't notice any dirt/dust issues.

It's been a great case, I would recommend it. It even fits snugly over an Invisible Shield layer. The only issue I've had with it is the battery indicator button is hard to push.

10. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Tread with caution. That is the one what was a b1tch for me to remove the top piece.

In fact yesterday I replaced my 15" MBP because somehow (I don't know how it happened) during when the speck see-thru satin case was on, or when I attempted to take it off, the bezel of my screen directly where the isight is got bent!

If you try it, do you mind letting us know how it goes?

11. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I have the satan one on my 15'' no issues to report best way for me to take it off is start from the bottom pops right off.

12. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

13. darrellishere macrumors 6502

I got 2 incase, the white and the perforated. Cant say Im impressed by either! Yes they are hard to get off, just use a credit card and run it along the edge, and unclip the clips with your nail. Usually 1st then second then its off.

I just find the dam things add to much weight to be useful everyday. :(

They freaking cost a fortune too!!!

14. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

15. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Those hard shells remind me of the 90s when people put bras on their cars. Its aluminum, wth are you protecting? lol

16. actionvaughn macrumors member

actionvaughn

The bottom part only comes off when I want to give it a good cleaning and it's only the top portion that's difficult to remove. I never have a need to, so I'm more than pleased with my hard shell.