Beware of Rocketfish case!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jfyrfytr25, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

[​IMG]Recieved a white 16GB iPhone 5 on Friday. Saturday I set out to find a case.
    Best Buy had limited supply but most were slide on cases which I hate because I have had them scratch the bezels.

So I found a Rocketfish case (bestbuy brand) that was similar to the belkin vue cases. kind of semi rigid rubber that kind of folds around your phone.

I bought it, put it on and felt a little better about handling the phone.

fast forward to yesterday, I take the phone out to wipe it down and I am looking at the white antenna bands at the corners and they are BLUE. not uniformly but blotchy like. Tried to wipe it off, nothing. I look at the case and there are the same blue streaks on the case where it came into contact with the bands. I should have snapped a few pics, but I had already decided to exchange it for a 32GB anyway and did that on the way home from work.

So beware, if you ise this case on the white it MAY do this to yours as well.

2. Eeko macrumors regular

3. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

After a few pints and a couple of shots, you'll hardly notice it :)

4. spidertaker23 macrumors regular

Excellent smart ass comment! :cool:

5. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

:d

6. bdoople macrumors member

bdoople

I know this is about the white phone, but just in case anyone is wondering, I took my phone out of the box on Friday and put it directly into the Rocketfish clear TPU case and I have had no issues with my black iPhone and discoloration. However, I do believe I've gotten a small scratch on the glass antenna cover due to this case, because it's right where the cutout ends. I'll post up pictures later to show what I mean.

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

My soft case, not this clear plasticy one, works just fine.

I would avoid any material such as this that would be hard and could scratch.

8. parrot5 macrumors 6502

Plastic shouldn't cut glass like that, and it's not like there is a ton of weight on top of it. Hopefully it is just a stamp mark?

9. bdoople macrumors member

bdoople

I cleaned it with an alcohol swab and a microfiber towel, didn't come off. It looks like it would be some dirt/debris stuck in the ring cutout and rubbed against the glass.. Somehow..

10. bobright macrumors 601

This is a non flexible hard plastic case right?

It is why I've stayed away from them.

11. rhaezorblue macrumors regular

rhaezorblue

I have this case for my white iphone 5 and its awesome.. no issues at all. When you turn on the LED flash for alerts and the phone is laying on its back, the LED light flash lights up the entire case, so awesome.

12. bdoople macrumors member

bdoople

No, this is about the TPU case as I mentioned.

13. xraytech, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

xraytech macrumors 68020

That's why I never get any White idevice ;)

14. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

If this is a flexible TPU case, this will probably happen with almost any case out there. This is ridiculous. It shouldn't be that fragile.

15. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Bought this a couple hours after my iPhone 5 arrived. Wore it for about two hours and took it off. I didn't really like how it looked. I'm so glad you posted this, now I won't end up using it. Cases that cause more damage to the phone than if the case was never used are the worst.

16. rhaezorblue, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

rhaezorblue macrumors regular

rhaezorblue

This thread is not making sense to me.. how does a clear case damage an aluminum phone? I get the feeling there is some information being left out, like the environment the phone was in was very dirty and worked its way under the case or something. It's a clear bendable/flexible case, nice and soft. I have the same one from Best Buy.

17. meechy macrumors 6502

So, basically sticking an iPhone 5 in a case will cause more damage to the phone than leaving it naked.

----------

Also i think it's not the case to blame. How can a clear tpu case cause blue marks????

18. mytran80 macrumors regular

You should clean inside the case before using it bc small particles can scratch the phone like sand debris

19. jfyrfytr25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

20. solidsnake32292 macrumors regular

I have this case and me and my girlfriend (both have white iPhone 5's) have had zero issues and we both love it.... So not sure really what the issue is to be honest but maybe you guys got something stuck in between? Not sure

21. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Always best to use TPU cases

22. Slabonski macrumors newbie

23. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I bought one of these clear Rocketfish cases today at Best Buy, and I think it's great! :cool:

Makes my white iPhone really keep its cool, without hiding it in black. :D

24. solidsnake32292 macrumors regular

I agree with you 100%... for the time being its actually a very good case... thin and comfortable to hold! I'm just waiting for Desmay ultra thin case to be available and i ordered some extreme guard's front and back so i'm all set! :apple:

25. CatsTide macrumors 6502