Beware of Rocketfish case!!!

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Recieved a white 16GB iPhone 5 on Friday. Saturday I set out to find a case.
Best Buy had limited supply but most were slide on cases which I hate because I have had them scratch the bezels.

So I found a Rocketfish case (bestbuy brand) that was similar to the belkin vue cases. kind of semi rigid rubber that kind of folds around your phone.

I bought it, put it on and felt a little better about handling the phone.

fast forward to yesterday, I take the phone out to wipe it down and I am looking at the white antenna bands at the corners and they are BLUE. not uniformly but blotchy like. Tried to wipe it off, nothing. I look at the case and there are the same blue streaks on the case where it came into contact with the bands. I should have snapped a few pics, but I had already decided to exchange it for a 32GB anyway and did that on the way home from work.

So beware, if you ise this case on the white it MAY do this to yours as well.

bdoople

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I know this is about the white phone, but just in case anyone is wondering, I took my phone out of the box on Friday and put it directly into the Rocketfish clear TPU case and I have had no issues with my black iPhone and discoloration. However, I do believe I've gotten a small scratch on the glass antenna cover due to this case, because it's right where the cutout ends. I'll post up pictures later to show what I mean.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
My soft case, not this clear plasticy one, works just fine.

I would avoid any material such as this that would be hard and could scratch.

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
I know this is about the white phone, but just in case anyone is wondering, I took my phone out of the box on Friday and put it directly into the Rocketfish clear TPU case and I have had no issues with my black iPhone and discoloration. However, I do believe I've gotten a small scratch on the glass antenna cover due to this case, because it's right where the cutout ends. I'll post up pictures later to show what I mean.
Plastic shouldn't cut glass like that, and it's not like there is a ton of weight on top of it. Hopefully it is just a stamp mark?

bdoople

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Plastic shouldn't cut glass like that, and it's not like there is a ton of weight on top of it. Hopefully it is just a stamp mark?
I cleaned it with an alcohol swab and a microfiber towel, didn't come off. It looks like it would be some dirt/debris stuck in the ring cutout and rubbed against the glass.. Somehow..

rhaezorblue

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I have this case for my white iphone 5 and its awesome.. no issues at all. When you turn on the LED flash for alerts and the phone is laying on its back, the LED light flash lights up the entire case, so awesome.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
ImageRecieved a white 16GB iPhone 5 on Friday. Saturday I set out to find a case.
Best Buy had limited supply but most were slide on cases which I hate because I have had them scratch the bezels.

So I found a Rocketfish case (bestbuy brand) that was similar to the belkin vue cases. kind of semi rigid rubber that kind of folds around your phone.

I bought it, put it on and felt a little better about handling the phone.

fast forward to yesterday, I take the phone out to wipe it down and I am looking at the white antenna bands at the corners and they are BLUE. not uniformly but blotchy like. Tried to wipe it off, nothing. I look at the case and there are the same blue streaks on the case where it came into contact with the bands. I should have snapped a few pics, but I had already decided to exchange it for a 32GB anyway and did that on the way home from work.

So beware, if you ise this case on the white it MAY do this to yours as well.
That's why I never get any White idevice ;)

Last edited:

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
If this is a flexible TPU case, this will probably happen with almost any case out there. This is ridiculous. It shouldn't be that fragile.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Bought this a couple hours after my iPhone 5 arrived. Wore it for about two hours and took it off. I didn't really like how it looked. I'm so glad you posted this, now I won't end up using it. Cases that cause more damage to the phone than if the case was never used are the worst.

rhaezorblue

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
This thread is not making sense to me.. how does a clear case damage an aluminum phone? I get the feeling there is some information being left out, like the environment the phone was in was very dirty and worked its way under the case or something. It's a clear bendable/flexible case, nice and soft. I have the same one from Best Buy.

Last edited:

meechy

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
So, basically sticking an iPhone 5 in a case will cause more damage to the phone than leaving it naked.

----------

Also i think it's not the case to blame. How can a clear tpu case cause blue marks????

mytran80

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
You should clean inside the case before using it bc small particles can scratch the phone like sand debris

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
This thread is not making sense to me.. how does a clear case damage an aluminum phone? I get the feeling there is some information being left out, like the environment the phone was in was very dirty and worked its

I thought original post was pretty clear but ill try again.

It had nothing to do with the aluminum. It was the white antenna spacers near the corners of the phone.
There was no dirt and it was babied as I do all of my apple stuff (selling a 2 year old iPhone 4 with not one mark on it. I take care of my stuff)

The TPU and the material the bands are made of are obviously not compatible. Some chemical that is used in that case caused a reaction on the white band that turned it blue.

As I said in the OP, I'm not saying all will do this, it was just my experience and thought that sharing it may help someone else.

solidsnake32292

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
I have this case and me and my girlfriend (both have white iPhone 5's) have had zero issues and we both love it.... So not sure really what the issue is to be honest but maybe you guys got something stuck in between? Not sure

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Always best to use TPU cases

Slabonski

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
This thread is not making sense to me.. how does a clear case damage an aluminum phone? I get the feeling there is some information being left out, like the environment the phone was in was very dirty and worked its

I thought original post was pretty clear but ill try again.

It had nothing to do with the aluminum. It was the white antenna spacers near the corners of the phone.
There was no dirt and it was babied as I do all of my apple stuff (selling a 2 year old iPhone 4 with not one mark on it. I take care of my stuff)

The TPU and the material the bands are made of are obviously not compatible. Some chemical that is used in that case caused a reaction on the white band that turned it blue.

As I said in the OP, I'm not saying all will do this, it was just my experience and thought that sharing it may help someone else.
Looking at my wife's white phone it looks like the spacers are plastic. It does sound like the case or something reacted with the plastic spacers. Did you clean the phone with anything like a cleaning chemical before putting on the case?

ubercool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
I bought one of these clear Rocketfish cases today at Best Buy, and I think it's great! :cool:

Makes my white iPhone really keep its cool, without hiding it in black. :D

solidsnake32292

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
I bought one of these clear Rocketfish cases today at Best Buy, and I think it's great! :cool:

Makes my white iPhone really keep its cool, without hiding it in black. :D
I agree with you 100%... for the time being its actually a very good case... thin and comfortable to hold! I'm just waiting for Desmay ultra thin case to be available and i ordered some extreme guard's front and back so i'm all set! :apple: