Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom29786

macrumors member
Original poster
Just thought that I would post this as a heads up to anybody that has put rubber feet on the bottom of a mini to stop it from sliding or possibly for cooling. I placed 4 small rubber feet on my mini for the above reasons and when I went to slide it a little ways on a Formica counter top I heard a POP I thought it was the rubber feet, however what it turned out to be was one of the 3 lugs that holds the black cover on the bottom of the mini broke off. It screws into the frame of the mini, not good. On the plus side mini still works perfect, used a piece of black tape to hold on the cover.

donklaus

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
So how did the rubber feet cause a back-cover lug to break?

Just thought that I would post this as a heads up to anybody that has put rubber feet on the bottom of a mini to stop it from sliding or possibly for cooling. I placed 4 small rubber feet on my mini for the above reasons and when I went to slide it a little ways on a Formica counter top I heard a POP I thought it was the rubber feet, however what it turned out to be was one of the 3 lugs that holds the black cover on the bottom of the mini broke off. It screws into the frame of the mini, not good. On the plus side mini still works perfect, used a piece of black tape to hold on the cover.

Doesn't seem like there is any physical connection, unless the four rubber feet were on the twist-to-remove cover itself?

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011

One part of the bottom has a metal backing and you can place there two feet. The other two feet need to be placed very closely to where the two lugs are. The three lugs are not having a very good fit (thread of the lugs / housing) so do not tighten them too much - you'll strip the threads.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Couldn't you pop one of those round rubber things that people use to help them open jars under the mini? That way it wouldn't slide around, it wouldn't raise it up too much like rubber pegs, and it would be completely under the mini so that you'd never see it.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I guess I am having a hard time understanding. Did the OP place the rubber feet on the round plate that opens? I put my 4 rubber feet on the outside corners NOT on the removable plate. No fuss no muss no issues.

eduardomart

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2012
Simple trick

Lightly scratch the rubber legs with sandpaper, problem solved. That's what I did with my Macbook Pro, now it really grips.

gmartine

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
I have rubber feet installed. I don't see how this can damage the Mac Mini. They are installed at in the corners.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

So you installed rubber feet which are not slippery and then you applied a force to try and push an object that is now attached to the rubber feet. You're surprised that the weakest chain in the link broke due to the force that you applied? .

anp27

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Just placed four 0.79 inch generic rubber feet on the four corners of my Mac mini, they work great... they seem to be helping with lowering the Mini's temperature as well which is really the reason why I bought them. :)

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
I have my Mac Mini elevated on four(4) plastic "shot glass" type cups under my PC Laptop Stand. Cost was about 25 Cents.

Last edited:

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
Wow, you just gave me a great idea, thanks! Shot glasses will probably look much better than rubber feet!

Your very welcome, however, it is not an original idea as I read a Post from another MacRumors Forum member some time ago. Using this good idea elevated my Mac Mini around 2 inches as I like to drink a double-shot of Jameson Irish Whisky every now and then:) Hope this works out for you!

Last edited:

Johnlpi

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2015
I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you. These machines are expensive enough; it's disheartening to hear that they should be so flimsy and start to have things break off them.

::sigh:: :(

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Little Tiny Feets

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you. These machines are expensive enough; it's disheartening to hear that they should be so flimsy and start to have things break off them.

::sigh:: :(

Hey Johnipi, don’t waste any tears or sighs on the OP and their self-inflicted problem. If you read the entire thread, note the lack of OP interaction, and notice the age of the thread the haze begins to clear.

Four out of the fifteen original 2012 posters commented about the curious circumstances that caused the broken lugs. Three of those four people directly asked Tom29786 for more details regarding the problem. One even pointed out how odd it was for the OP to implement a non-slip solution for their mini before attempting to slide it across the desktop. The OP did not respond to any of them. The other posters, like you, ignored these valid questions. Anp27 reanimated a dead thread but did not address the original complaint.

Don’t be disheartened! There is no evidence that anything is flimsy here. The OP did some undetermined weird thing to their (2010?) Mac mini and broke it. That is all. :rolleyes:

Johnlpi

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2015
note the lack of OP interaction, and notice the age of the thread

Anp27 reanimated a dead thread but did not address the original complaint.

did some undetermined weird thing :rolleyes:

In the future I guess I will have to double-check the date of the OP. I didn't notice that until you pointed it out; so, thanks for that.

I'm always doing some "undermined weird things..." :eek: so I hope I'm in the right place! :D

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
In the future I guess I will have to double-check the date of the OP. I didn't notice that until you pointed it out; so, thanks for that.

I'm always doing some "undermined weird things..." :eek: so I hope I'm in the right place! :D

No sweat, most of us have made the same mistake. I know that I have!

There is another weird thing about this thread. If you view the product links that the posters in this thread suggested it makes you wonder if they read each other's posts.

Weird?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.