Beware Sprint Stores

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mralmostpopular, Oct 11, 2011.

1. mralmostpopular macrumors member

So I just wanted to pass on some info. I've been reading about the useless "pre-order" from Best Buy. Well it appears that at least some Sprint stores are doing the same kind of thing. I had to change my plan, and decided to stop off at the Sprint store to do it, since the website was somewhat buggy. I mentioned to the guy that I wanted my plan changed before pre-ordering the iPhone 4S. He told me that they could pre-order it right there. Great, I thought. I asked for my confirmation. He told me that it would be e-mailed to me. I asked about payment. He told me that the stores work differently from the website and that I would have to come into the store to get the phone and pay on Friday. He said they'd even call me on Thursday to set up an appointment time for Friday to get it. I asked him to confirm that it was indeed a pre-order. He did, as did the manager standing right next to him. Nothing here really set off any alarm bells. It's reasonable to believe that the stores operate this way.

I didn't get any e-mail, so I went back in to ask about it. I talked to someone different. This guy informed that the store in fact doesn't even do pre-orders, rather it was more like a wish list. They'd call me and tell me if they get any in, but that I was going to have to wait in line like everyone else to try to get one. It's more like a heads-up. My "pre-order" doesn't even reserve a phone for me. I asked what the point was. He told me that it just gives corporate an idea of how many people might be interested in the phone for each location so they can stock accordingly. He was very apologetic, and seemed genuinely annoyed that someone would tell me otherwise.

Now either the second guy was uninformed (although lack of any confirmation whatsoever leads me to believe otherwise), or the first two guys lied right to my face. Either way, my Friday forecast seems very cloudy right now. :rolleyes:

2. fanboy05 macrumors regular

3. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

sounds like the second guy was trying to keep you away so he can give his friends the hook up

4. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

so if no one asked for it, then the store wouldn't get any? So misleading of Sprint. I'd be furious if that happened to me.

5. mralmostpopular, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

mralmostpopular thread starter macrumors member

I'm miffed about not getting it on Friday. My current phone is more than on its last legs. However, what I'm really more ticked off about is being misled. There's an Apple store right next door, which is where I would've gone had I not been told something not truthful. It was still well before the pre-orders sold out.

Companies wonder why more and more people are buying stuff online and avoiding human interaction.

What's probably more likely is that some stores will get more than others based on interest at that store. I don't see any reason to get furious. It's just a phone, and I'll get one eventually, even if I have to wait a few weeks. It's a bummer, but being anything more than a bit miffed about it isn't going to get me a phone any faster. I just know one store to avoid for any future business.

6. ma1234 macrumors newbie

I did this at my store. The guy made it very clear to me that I would get a call on Thursday to confirm and the phone would be held for me all day Friday, but if I did not pick it up Friday, it would be sold to somebody else.

Hope it works - I can't order online because my billing address is on the other side of the country.

7. fanboy05 macrumors regular

totally understandable, I would be mad too. they told you to expect it, then when you didnt get the promised follow up they told you the first reps were full of sh#$!
    you can call the company and complain, but I doubt it will get you a phone on friday unless you wait in line.
    I would be wondering how the first people promised you the phone on friday when they are sold out? even on apples website you cant get one in less that 1-2 weeks out.
    if you have the employees names you can always file a complaint... but I still doubt it will get you a phone on friday.

8. ma1234 macrumors newbie

Sprint is nowhere near sold out. Sprint.com still promises deliver if 32 or 64 gig models on Friday or Saturday.

9. mralmostpopular thread starter macrumors member

I hope this turns out to be the case.

----------

I pre-ordered on Friday (the 7th). The guy said I'd get an e-mail, so I figured maybe it would come the next business day (Monday). When it didn't, I went back into the store today (Tuesday). When I "pre-ordered" the phone wasn't sold out yet. I had plenty of time at that point.

10. fanboy05 macrumors regular

That is weird! when I went to sprints website and clicked on the preorder button for the 32 and 64 GB models, the next page that pops up said this

"Pre-order: While supplies last, we'll let you pre-order iPhone 4S online only. Order today, we'll charge your card for your phone today and we'll do our best to get a new iPhone in your hands Friday, Oct. 14 or Saturday, Oct. 15. Ordering more than just iPhones? Please complete your pre-order package checkout and come back to order any additional phones, tablets and mobile broadband devices. How pre-order works"

so when I called the customer service line ( cause a guarantee of launch day sounds pretty dang good ) and said will they guarantee delivery friday or saturday delivery if I order today, ( 32 or 64 gb) the lady ( who is just trying to make a sale right? ) said they are NOT giving guarantees that it would be there. they are not going to give you a credit if it doesnt show up or promise it will be there just that they will do their best.
    The rep who promised you this either is full of crap, cant read their own website, or figures they wont get called out if they promise it and it doesnt happen.
    to the OP. I hope what the previous poster said is accurate though, maybe go into the store and order a 32 GB instead of the 16, and ask if the manager will guarantee it! at the very least maybe they can give you a credit for having to put up with their stupidity!

11. mralmostpopular thread starter macrumors member

Nah. I can't justify spending an extra $100 just so I could say I got one the day of release. At this point it is what it is. I just wanted to pass this along in case anyone else did an in-store "pre-order."