Beware T-Mobile when you upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by charliex5, Sep 29, 2014.

1. charliex5 macrumors regular

When my wife and I first got our iPhone 5s on T-Mobile we declined the device insurance and low and behold when I checked online they had signed us up for it anyway. This weekend we upgraded to the 6. We had paid off our old iPhones and weren't part of the Jump program. I declined the Jump program and can you guess what happened? I went home and checked our account online and they had signed us up for it!

I have really liked T-Mobile except for these instances. I'm not sure if the sales people get a commission for signing people up or if it's some corporate policy, but it's annoying. Easy to take the service off after the fact. I just thought I would warn my Macrumors family to check their accounts for miscellaneous services after upgrading.

2. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

Also be careful with the carrier swtich to T-Mobile my friend made the switch and AT&T sent him a cancellation fee of $500. I guess he said that the T-mobile associate never informed him about the sign up sheet for them to wave the fees. Maybe its just some associates that are sneaky?

3. charliex5 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't doubt that some are being sneaky. I'm really curious if they get some sort of incentive for being deceptive that ties into corporate policy or promotions. Any T-Mobile employees care to share?

4. Liberty. macrumors 6502

Have you contacted them yet?

5. bearda macrumors 6502

T-Mobile can't wave the fee, it's charged by AT&T. T-Mobile will reimburse you for the ETA that AT&T charges but you have to pay AT&T out of pocket first. It can be done after the fact, you just need to submit the last AT&T bill to T-Mobile on their website and they'll cut you a check.

6. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

that makes sense, but regardless of how he was never informed by this. I was a T-Mobile customer ever since Omnipoint and voicestream but made the switch to AT&T once the Iphone1 came out. I think I will make the switch back since AT&T taxes the hell out of you. Not sure if T-Mobile is the same now but I always known them for being cheaper and getting more out of your services.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've bought 6 T-Mobile phones. Only the first two from a T-Mobile store (and I found the whole experience very confusing). The last four have been on-line. You see exactly what you are being charged for. I should also point out that only those first two had contracts. Never again!