Beware the Ides of March's 10.9.3 beta

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by tywebb13, Mar 8, 2014.

1. tywebb13, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Some developers have been warning that audio disappears with the first beta build 13D12 of 10.9.3. So don't rush into it. Certainly don't install it all if you only have one mac. And always follow apple's advice to backup before updating (ESPECIALLY with betas).

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps you or those being affected should file a bug report to apple, to ensure they're aware of the issue

3. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I have it installed and haven't lost audio since. Audio is one of the focus area so they've obviously made changes.

4. tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah. I said some developers, not all.

I too have not lost audio. So it isn't affecting everyone the same way.

5. beyond macrumors member

beyond

6. tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't know. But if it happened to me I'd downgrade it to 10.9.2 again rather than wait for the next beta to fix it.

7. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

It's happened to me twice, a reboot brings it back.

8. tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes. Several bug reports have been made now. So apple know about the issue now.

9. tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68020

Second beta build 13D17 is even worse than the first with many developers not able to start up their computer properly after installing the update. Some have already downgraded to 10.9.2 in despair.

I hope apple don't rush this out to the public. I wouldn't like to see what happens on macrumors forums about these much more catastrophic bugs. Those whinging about beachballs and other minor bugs will be in for a very rude shock if they install this.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not seeing too many threads here about issues with the beta, though I'm not saying you're not dealing with it. As I mentioned before, submitting bug reports is the best way to get apple aware of the issues.

Interacting on their developer forums is helpful, though its only open to registered developers. Many people here seemed to be running the beta w/o being an actual developer (I'm not saying that's the case with you), just pointing out that much of the complaints may not make it to apple since they're not part of the appleseed beta program.

11. tywebb13, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014

tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68020

Some people have already submitted bug reports to apple about build 13D17 now too.

I was lucky it worked for me, but many people are having trouble with it.

It seems ATI graphics cards may be the culprit here.

EDIT: I have more recently found out that some computers with nvidia graphics cards are also having similar problems with build 13D17.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well, hopefully Apple takes their time as they have done in the past and ensure a solid update

13. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

audio has been disappearing in some cases from time to time since 10.9.0.

----------

I've always been mystified how taking a fairly stable version of the OS and making it less stable in a service update is progress . . . :( (regardless of beta or final release)

14. 844957 Suspended

hope 10.9.3 finally fixes the stuttering/crackling/skipping or audio drop outs most of us on external audio interfaces have had to deal with since 10.9

months after a new release pro-audio production is not capable from mavericks

15. leman macrumors G3

I had audio disappearing since at least Snow Leopard. Usually involving Skype/Flash videos. Can be easily fixed by reloading the audio framework (kill the coreaudio process). I do hope that they fix it at some point. So far, no issues with 10.9.3

16. dza macrumors member

I've lost audio on this build and I think it's related to standby/suspend ...