Beware: www.iphoneunlockuk.com is a scam and a rip-off

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Moi un Mouton, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

The iphoneunlockuk site is run by Mr Jody Sanders who steals free software, developed by well-meaning people Geohot and the Dev Team, and sells it to stupid people for £40 a time.

Everything he sells is available free from Geohot and the Dev Team.

Please don't be stupid, don't be scammed. If you want to unlock your iPhone, then search on here for Blackra1n, Blacksn0w, Pwnage, ultrasn0w, redsn0w. Go to www.iClarified.com and read their iPhone tutorials. Read the stickies on here. Buy your friends nice Christmas presents with the £40 instead of giving it to a dishonest thief.

Please spread this message far and wide.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Well I guess Geohot deserves this being posted as it appears he has developed an unlock for 5.11.xx.

It was his request to put the word out on these pay sites for JB/UL tools.

Geohot blog

;)

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

This guy and his site have been known for quite some time. It's been mentioned on the Dev Team blog quite a few times also.

4. calvy macrumors 65816

Agreed. And as smart as GeoHot may be, it took MuscleNerd to point it out to him who Jody was when he offered a 10k bounty for finding a hole in the baseband.

5. igeoffi macrumors member

Someone should do a CNN iReport and then hopefully it gets featured on CNN. :)

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

As Geohot

points out never pay for Jailbreak or Unlocking Software I mean how low are you. to charge for somebody else work. Musselnerd also agreed with Geohot on this posted on Geohots blog earlier today!

btw it should be noted that both the Dev team and Geo have each others backs on allot of things. :D supporting Geohot is one thing supporting someone that steels somebody else work is another.

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

whats even more amusing is his site advertised the version 5 baseband unlock before one was found and when preople forked over money he fobbed them off saying it's in development.

twitter was kinda amusing cause Jody what post tweets as if him and geohot were together or that geohot was working for him...... geohot announced his unlock next thing Jody's tweets become private

8. koollectablz macrumors 6502

Fair play for Geohot for not selling out to this this creep - but 10k!

I'd have took the money then just released it anyway.

9. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

With those names and the bounty part this post reads like a summary of a DC Comics plot.

10. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I agree that he shouldn't sell the software, however I have charged people in the past for 'my time' in jailbreaking or unlocking their device. I did make it clear that the software I used was freely available on the internet but they didn't have the expertise to perform either (like, literally couldnt press 'make it rain'?! come on)

I still do not condone this guy selling it as if he makes it and considering he charges £39.99 for the 3GS!? thats a complete scam.
    The most I've ever charged was £5 because I literally just ran the app in front of them on my laptop and they said wow that was easy and that was it. I even told them about Geohot and how awesome he is that he does this all by himself without any kind of funding or support from anyone other than the huge community of users.

11. Moi un Mouton thread starter macrumors 68000

I posted a warning message on their own forum but it got "moderated" out of existence :D

12. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

It's amazing how many suckers there are!!!

If you Google iPhone unlock you'll get plenty of links with information on how to do it for free. Including a link to the Dev Team Blog!!!

Part of me is sad that people fall for it... but the other part feels like they deserve it. The part that makes me mad is that this jerk Jody Sanders is making money off of Dev and GeoHotz work.

13. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The other day, I was reading an online article or a blog (unfortunately, I don't have a link), about how these iphoneunlock.com sites are a scam, and in the middle of the page is an ad for one of these iphoneunlock.com things. :rolleyes:

I know website owners often don't have direct control over ad content, but I wish something can be done about those things...

15. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Google ad-sense I think picks keywords from the page and puts ads on. Haha, so it makes sense I guess. They probably do have the ability to block specific ads though.

16. Moi un Mouton thread starter macrumors 68000

They even appear on Geohot's own blog. I don't think he has the power to block them :(

17. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

jerks

now they are claiming Geohot's BlackSn0w what a bunch of jerks :mad:

19. Moi un Mouton thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes indeed. If anyone here knows people from the internet's "dark side", then iphoneunlockuk would be a worthy target for a hack/DOS attack, whatever. The guy is a scumbag. And making himself a very rich scumbag, clearly.

20. dakelv macrumors newbie

I paid iphonunlockuk a month ago to have my iphone 3gs on Rogers network factory unlocked. The website advertises a maximum of 48-hour guarantee. After 3 business days, I emailed customer service but was told it would took up to 5 days, so I waited. After 5 business days, I emailed them again. This time, I was told the process could take up to 14 days, so I waited patiently again. 14 days have passed but there was still no unlock. I emailed yet again, and guess what! This time I was told that I purchased a "50 day factory unlock!" This is bulls**t. I never had the choice of which kind of factory unlock I would like to purchase. This is simply their way of stealing customer's money. To hell with all you scam artist! If you are considering buying their "service," be warned. If you are a Rogers customer in Canada, you can call Rogers unlock department and they will unlock your iphone for you for $50.00. And, it is done while you are on the phone.:mad:

21. jhippisley, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

jhippisley macrumors newbie

22. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sadly the countries that these company's work out of will protect the scammers not the scammed. Local police can't do anything. Be happy with your bank. You are probably 1 out of a 100 that got money back. Many don't even realize they have been scammed. This is why we always try to push people into do some homework before jb/ul/ a. you can usually find your own answers since most have been asked. and you learn that at worst jailbreakers will ask for a donation for there work not charge people for other people work. Also usally about now some Newbie pops on saying that none of us know what they are talking about and they love the service.. :rolleyes: which is why we sometimes come of bitter to newbs. I'm glad your bank got your money back for you.

23. jhippisley, Dec 30, 2011

See the email below as a result of fighting them?

Retracted

24. labman macrumors 604

labman

do they have IMEI? they would have to go through the carrier I doubt the carrier would comply. how were they supposed to unlock it? jb/ul or were they doing the IMEI submission. I don't know that much about the site and how it works. I don't like going to them because of possible spam attack. plus I already know these sites are scams without going there.

25. jhippisley, Dec 30, 2011

Here is my response to his theta to cut me off if I do not pay!

Retracted