Beyond Mac OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Caezar, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Caezar macrumors 6502

Mac OS X has been around for 8 years already. Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if Apple already started to work on an entirely new OS? If so, what might it be like?

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

How different do you want? You've already got a new one on the iPhone and Touch...

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The core of OSX has been around since the late 1980's. Some of that has been around since the early 1970's.

4. Apple iKid macrumors regular

I don't think we will see a jump to a completely different OS anytime soon.

5. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I don't see OS XI coming anytime soon.

How many OS X's will apple have.

Do you think there will be OS X (10.11... 10.12... 10.13...?)

6. BobZune macrumors 6502a

"Those who do not understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it -- badly" (Henry Spencer). Operating systems need to evolve, so don't expect something revolutionary - every time there is an ALL new OS, even if it is well designed, it takes years or decades to get most of the bugs out. OS X is built on Unix (and other bits).

You an expect the User Interface to change and evolve much faster, but the underlying OS *should* evolve slowly.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Phil Schiller said (in the keynote that first introduced OS 10.0 in 2001) that OS X will be the OS for the next 10-15 years. That would put a major OS change somewhere between 2011-2016. I would think that it would be more towards 2016.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I seem to remember his saying that it would be the basis for Apple's operating systems for the next 20 years.

To the OP's question: New operating systems don't just fall out of the sky. The original Mac was based on concepts dating back to the 1960s. If you want to know that the Mac will be like in 20 years, then you need to attend computer science conferences today.

That said, Apple's plans appear to be quite clear. With Leopard, OS X became the first and only consumer OS based on certified UNIX. OS X 10.5 has extended its reach beyond the desktop and laptop to the ear top and the set top. Whatever Apple's calls its OSes for decades to come, they will be based on certified UNIX. As UNIX evolves outside Apple, Apple will adapt to the new standard. Apple will also provide new technologies to the wider UNIX community as it did with zeroconf. It will also take custody of additional UNIX as it did with CUPS.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Tallest Skil has some really interesting theories on this.

Basically, OSX will be around until someone (perhaps Apple yet again) revolutionizes the way we interact with computers and the way they intertwine into our lives.

I'm actually waiting for him to visit this thread, its a good read.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Thanks for that, I appreciate it. :cool:

Steve said... what, I forget when it was, but "Mac OS X will set us up for the next 20 years.", putting OS XI's release right around 2020.

Now, with 10.6 coming out in 2009, that's a little far out in my mind, as I believe they won't go over 10.9, so we could see OS XI before 2020.

Here's an old post of mine from another thread (rife with naysayers). I don't remember the thread, so I can't link to the post itself (I said more, I believe), but I saved the text.

I'll think a bit more on OS XI and post again if people want clarification or more info. The above is a teaser of what I'm thinking.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats the post ive been looking for!

Thanks Tallest, now don't you have a kitten to save or a robbery to stop?

12. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I have similar ideas as you as well as some others. One of them relates to larger displays and another involves some sort of 3D.

I also think that in the next few years the iPhone OS will be moving up rather than the Mac OS X moving down (rumors of "iPhone Pro" and mini-tablet). Extrapolating that to a few more years… I'll think some more on that one. ;)