Beyond OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacSade, Apr 8, 2009.

1. MacSade macrumors newbie

With SL just around the corner, what I'm surprised about is the total lack of knowledge about the direction of the Mac operating system beyond the next release.

My view is that its time for Apple to take it to the next level. What do I mean by this - I mean that Apple should seriously consider being the first operating system to embrace social networking - by fulling building out and integrating social networking into their operating system and apps.

The own a mobile platform for mobile distribution. They own some of the best content addition/modification tools in the world with iLife. They provide email. They have great deals with music and entertainment providers. And they are collecting great data on users of iLife, iWork, and iPhones. Why not use all this to their advantage and create an operating system that truly integrates the social graph right into all their apps and OS?

Apple has never been afraid of not being the first to a industry. In fact, I think the lesson Apple has learned is that it doesn't always pay to be the first mover into an industry. What Apple has figured out that Facebook, Myspace and the rest have not - how to monotize things.

Apple could seriously take on Facebook if they truly wanted to. With their experience in UI, UX - they could become the winner in this field very quickly.

Thoughts?

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I would absolutely hate that, I use IM clients, and hate things such as Myspace, Facebook and other similar things. They need to work on Blu Ray support before they go adding inane things such as that.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. Just because iLife is simple to use does not make it among the best.

Are you referring to MobileMe or Apple Mail? Apple Mail is OK, but it's a mail client. MobileMe isn't free and, in my opinion, doesn't stack up to Gmail which is free.

Apple also does something that facebook and MySpace do not, namely "produce hardware."

Doubtful.

4. buddywalker macrumors newbie

I will have to agree with the OP. I think Apple could do a great job and think that it could be very cool. I am a huge facebook fan and I think that Apple could revolutionize it. It wouldn't be required for mac users to participate of course, but it isn't a terrible idea. I think the OP is very innovative and is daring to "Think Different".

5. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

What I would like to see is for Apple to integrate basically your digital "life" into the operating system. Read this interesting article on C|net, and I am really thinking that something like that would be awesome to be integrated into the OS. That way your whole digital existence, if you will, is condensed into one, easy to access place. And with the iPhone, they stand to dominate both sides of it.

Yes, some sort of condensation of the digital "you" will eventually happen. Whether Apple will do it themselves or just make programs to "read" it, who knows. Interesting possibilities.

I do wonder though if these and other additions will be truly deserving of the OS XI monicker, though. How revolutionary will it be? I am guessing they will take OS X to at least 10.8 or 10.9, personally...

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Doing so would be the most horrific invasion of privacy/security and would likely result in mass abandonment of the platform.

Good idea.

7. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I agree with that article that Google is positioned to do that best, and Apple should stick to OS rather than trying to jump into the social networking and what not.

8. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Exactly. I really don't want to see iFacebook:apple: or anything.

It would be nice though if they were to have a better integrated Mobile Me, I guess, that truly pulled everything together, so you see on your desktop (or via a Web 2.0 service like Me.com) all your email, voicemail, calls, wall posts, tweets, what have you, all in one place. That actually sounds like a natural progression of Mobile Me...

Anyway, there I go off topic again. As I kind of said before, who knows what OS XI holds. It may well be (and perhaps should be) something truly and completely revolutionary, that actually takes the computing world by storm. What that is... well, I'm not feeling particularly creative at the moment, so I won't even bother to venture a guess :p

9. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

meh, the same could be said of Windows 8, as either imaginary OS has the potential to be completely revolutionary, however I doubt either will be.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

No thanks. I have LESS than zero interest in that social networking BS and I wouldn't really like it put deeply into my operating system.

11. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I felt kinda scared reading some of those visions of a Mac OS with integrated facebook/myspace stuff,...

I still don't (and probably will never) understand that facebook/myspace.
    Maybe I'm just too old (26) for that, but if I want to meet my friends, I would meet them in person and do stuff instead of sitting in front of my screen and typing things into a virtual space.

12. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I'm turning 24 in May and feel the same as you, however there's a lot of people that are older than me that seem to get into it. I guess it depends less on age than personality.

13. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

I'm twice your age and don't get the whole facebook/myspace thing. As mentioned above, I like to make friends in person. Cyber-social stuff rarely interests me, unless the group has a common bond, such as with MR.
    Morod

14. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

All I want to see is the ability to
    1. Have facebook mail and walls imported into Mac OS Mail (hey why not news feed while your at it)
    2. Instant setup of more providers in mail
    3. iChat support for multiple carriers
    this is just like what we are seeing in iLife with the send to facebook/flickr

Full social integreation might get annoying

"Omi San has closed a finder window"
    "Bob Smith has trashed xxx.jpg"

Lol

Many people don't see the purpose in social networking, but for me Face-book is really a way for me to keep in contact with friends in other countries. It is a secure and private way of sharing photos, videos, and the closest thing to being back home with them.

15. kolax macrumors G3

I use Facebook to keep in touch with my real friends.. I've never met anyone off it. It's great, catch up with old mates, or see photos someone took from a night out.

We already have Facebook integration in iPhoto '09.

16. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

The way I see it, Facebook, when used responsibly, is wonderful. If you use it only as a way to share photos, have those kind of meaningless conversations that are, I would say, a step below texting someone, and perhaps as a way to invite lots of people to an event, while still ACTUALLY communicating with them, then dandy.

However, if you take it to the extreme of having that be your sole means of communication with friends that you can actually physically communicate with... well, then you have a problem.

And, for those of you totally against social networking stuff like this, I would venture a guess that any OS with such integration would still work just dandy without it. Leopard works without Mobile Me, there is not reason why OS XI wouldn't work without Mobile Me 7.0 or whatever :D

17. acxz macrumors regular

Stupid idea, and it's easy to see how popular it will be - just look at the failware that is Flock.

18. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Yes, and they could call it eWorld...

19. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

20. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

So if you incorporate Social Networks into an OS would the term PC "personal computer" lose it's meaning? To be honest, the whole Facebook system of broadcasting everything you do to everyone else is paranoia inducing. I would hate this if that was my OS.

Example:
    "Gimmeslack12 has just watched 4 hours of pron!"
    Broadcast that to your Mom or co-workers or whoever... Yeah, super idea.

21. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

This is kind of ridiculous thinking. Obviously there will be ways to either turn the social networking off completely, or at least limit what is seen. No one wants to know what precisely you are doing on your computer, thank you very much.

22. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I suppose I could have taken a little more time to refine my point. Probably didn't require a reply in this thread to begin with.

23. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How is it ridiculous? Everything that is posted on Facebook belongs to Facebook to do with as Facebook wants--in perpetuity.

24. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Oh good lord, lets not get into that debate.

All I am saying is that I highly doubt that they (Apple, Facebook, whoever) will somehow require all activities of yours to be published to everyone you know. There will OBVIOUSLY be privacy settings if you do choose to use the service, and you can always opt out completely. That is all I am saying is ridiculous, the irrational fear that everyone will always know what you are doing second by second forever.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If social networking becomes part of the OS itself, I will personally stick with SL until I can no longer go on.

I HATE what facebook, myspace, twitter, etc has done to my generation. We are like a bunch of ADD drama queens.