Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
I was digging through some of the really old posts on MR and found this post by JonesBonk, about Apple's purchase of Transitive Technologies.

JonesBonk said:
Apple will announce that they have purchased Transitive Technologies and plans to incorporate Dynamite (which in TTL's own words, "dynamically accelerates object code without recompilation") into OSX 10.2.

Instead of porting OSX to Intel, they create within OSX, the inherent ability to run XP applications at near native speed - transparently in OSX. It's a great idea - first, they don't cannibalize hardware sales by offering X on Intel (not to mention the bad press they would get when these PC knuckleheads have a tough time running X on their P3 450). Second, they create a safe window for windows users to move to the Apple platform without having to sacrifice their collection of software. Then, when it comes time to upgrade, they will have seen the advantage in moving to native X apps, and take the plunge completely!... I can hardly breathe!
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11596#post11596

Apple never did announce the purchase... until only recently.

What's amazing is that anyone could have predicted Apple's transition to Intel from nearly 4 years ago. And amazing it has taken Apple nearly 4 years of *hard* work to transition to x86 processors and they still have about another 18 months left to complete. I've found this so interesting that the prediction is nearly spot on about Apple trying to ween PC users off MS Windows. Apple and Steve Jobs are clearly positioning themselves to seriously compete to gain marketshare.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
We'll be seeing a major OS clash in the coming months. This is exciting.

From the Inquirer:

APPLE PUNDITS are predicting that the entertainment gear maker is set to take on Microsoft in an operating system war again.
According to Architosh, an Apple insider has told it that Apple's Messiah Steve Jobs is planning to make an announcement about expanding the Macintosh market share soon.

Now that is apparently a portent of things to come, as Jobs has for the last couple of years said that market share isn't that important.

Link

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Lacero said:
Now that is apparently a portent of things to come, as Jobs has for the last couple of years said that market share isn't that important.

He's becoming quite reliable in his condemning - Shuffle and video iPods to name two. What else does he not like? Sharks with laser beams attached to their heads? You heard it here first. :)

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i was just having this conversation at work with fellow mac users , regarding the OS running on x86 -

bottom line what i can see is if apple put out there OS to the x86 market it will kill there Powermac lines.
why buy a Powermac for £2000+ when you can build your own

also the backlash Apple will get when the anounce that there OS can run on x86 run only on Apple hardware. all them PC freaks will scream and shout like babys.

i'm not sure it will be a Microsoft V's Apple Deathmatch , but more of Dell V's Apple Hardware Deathmatch

we may have a better OS but i'm worried we will have to give up a lot of the hardware to get ontop of the x86 crowd.

my view anyway :)

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
liketom said:
bottom line what i can see is if apple put out there OS to the x86 market it will kill there Powermac lines.
why buy a Powermac for £2000+ when you can build your own

also the backlash Apple will get when the anounce that there OS can run on x86 run only on Apple hardware. all them PC freaks will scream and shout like babys.

Nothing new here. This has been Apple's fundamental philosophy for most of its existence.

Jobs has vowed not to license OS X, and to put in measures to prevent users from "licensing" it on their own.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
mad jew said:
He's becoming quite reliable in his condemning - Shuffle and video iPods to name two. What else does he not like? Sharks with laser beams attached to their heads? You heard it here first. :)

Jobs, it seems, is a very "right time, right place" type of guy. There is a time and place for certain products and he won't comment on them, and Apple won't release them, until the proper time and place are reached. And it makes sense, IMO. Especially now, why give your competitors an edge? Why let them know what Apple is cooking up? And why risk killing sales of current products by talking about the next really cool version that'll be out in 6 months or a year.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.