Bezel crack

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Drich290195, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Drich290195 macrumors 6502

Drich290195

I have a small nick in the bezel are apple likely to replace the beZel On my 2009 MacBook or does it have I be substantial it's probably not even a mm

2. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Can you upload a photo please?

3. Drich290195 thread starter macrumors 6502

Drich290195

Here you go it's not very big worth doing

[​IMG]

----------

Needs a zoom lol

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Alas, I have a feeling a Genius would say "what crack?" and hand it back to you. Also, Apple usually doesn't replace any cosmetic damage that doesn't also impede the functionality of computer.

5. Drich290195 thread starter macrumors 6502

Drich290195

so the gerneral feeling is get over it and ignore it as its too small or see if they will replace it

6. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

If that crack gets bigger and begins to split though, like in this image...

[​IMG]

you can then take it to the Apple store and they will replace the palmrests for free, because it is actually a design flaw.

7. Drich290195 thread starter macrumors 6502

Drich290195

But you think they will replace now I prevent that happening or just say come back when it does

8. M0cked macrumors newbie

They won't replace that, that'd would be considered 'normal wear'.

9. Drich290195 thread starter macrumors 6502

Drich290195

Well they have taken it in. It worse cracked around the iSight camera as well

10. theRAMman macrumors regular

thats good to know, my macbook is like that all the way around the entire front :p

11. M0cked macrumors newbie

My macbook was more like the picture Drew017 posted, but all long the left side and you can see dust bunnies sitting in there. Took it to Apple today and they just replaced it for free and it only took 15 minutes. And I asked them about smaller ones, and usually they won't repair them if it's not significant.

12. cshel24 macrumors member

I noticed some cracking on my 2009 MacBook... I was actually still under AppleCare at the time. I called Apple, they told me where to take it (because I live in the middle of nowhere). They replaced it free, the bottom palm-rest, keyboard and trackpad. It was nice getting a shiny new keyboard because my old one had some of the paint worn off and all. The new trackpad isn't as "comfortable" or something as the old one was. It seems like the clicking part doesn't work as well as the old one did. But oh well, at least I got if fixed and replaced with new stuff so I shouldn't complain.

I heard they will also fix the cracking problem out of warranty. Thankfully I didn't have to put that part to the test.

13. Drich290195 thread starter macrumors 6502

Drich290195

So do we know if the parts yet are replacing with are free from the defect Or is it likely to happen again

14. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

The parts that Apple replaces should be much better quality, and shouldn't crack like the old parts. Ask a genius at the Apple store when you take it in, and they will give you more information.

15. cshel24 macrumors member

My new palm rest part feels like a different material. I am guessing since it is an acknowledged problem from Apple, they are making the replacement parts out of a material that is less likely to crack.

16. theRAMman macrumors regular

on the topic of repairing macbooks, my poor old example is in a very poor state. The bezel is chipped away, the top cover is covered in massive scars, there are small, hairline cracks on the bottom where the screen meets the air vent. The strip of plastic going round the front of the screen has come loose and is cracked and bent at the bottom. Out of curiosity (knowing that the bezel cracks will be replaced for free, how much will it cost to repair? im taking it to the apple store soon, but just wanted to know what u guys think is will cost me. (would it be better to get a new computer?)

17. M0cked macrumors newbie

I recently did mine this last weekend and the guy at the apple genius store said it will vary from store to store depending if your macbook is labelled 'vintage' or not. According to him 'vintage' is 5 years and older. He said it also depends on the year cause certain years 'cracked' more than the others.

The invoice I have said it was....
    $101.14 for the "Housing, Top Case with keyboard, Black, US"
    $39.00 for Hardware/Repair Labor
    $140.14 Total (Tax not included)

But my macbook was in that year where it was really bad and I got it for free. Other variables included where the cracks were, if it was human made or defect, they don't repair the bezel up on the LCD, etc...