Bezel-less iPhone: Larger Display or Smaller Phone? (Poll) + A Stunning Third Option...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Oct 11, 2016.

?

Would you prefer a bezel-less iPhone with a larger display or a smaller overall size?

1. Bring on larger 5"/5.7"+ (16:9) displays.

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Retain the 4.7"/5.5" display sizes and make the phone much smaller.

19 vote(s)
    82.6%
  3. Elongate the display to a 2:40:1 aspect ratio while narrowing iPhone for extra comfort.

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. MICHAELSD, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

When Apple inevitably removes the bezels from the iPhone as soon as next year, that design change comes with two obvious options: a smaller phone that's more comfortable to hold or a move to larger displays that sound better on paper for marketing purposes. There is also a much more stunning third option I've conceived of...

Personally I loved my two weeks with the 4.7" 6s and though I moved back to the Plus model as expected, I still find it uncomfortable to use singlehanded at times. If Apple retained the current 5.5" display and trimmed off the side bezels completely the difference of a few mm would go a long way to making the phone that much more comfortable.

While a more narrow iPhone would be very welcome, the phone's current height is ideal and doesn't affect comfort thus there is a third idealistic option: extending the display's aspect ratio to the movie standard of 2:40:1 thereby maintaining the iPhone's current height while making the display much longer. Thus the iPhone would have an "ultrawide" (in landscape mode) aspect ratio that would make all content, including movies, more stunning with no comfort or usage sacrifices.

I think a bezel-less iPhone that trims down its width to be more comfortable to hold but retains its height with a taller display occupying the front/bottom bezels would have the largest "wow" factor by far.

While Googling in an attempt to find a mock-up, I realized a 2:40:1 aspect ratio iPhone is a completely original idea.

Hey Jony Ive, I'm not looking to be employed but I'd consider working at Apple ;).
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2016 ---
    To visualize my third option, imagine the iPhone display being similar to this "ultra-wide" LG monitor, which vertically just about perfectly lines up with the entire front of the iPhone to occupy the front/bottom bezels with all screen. Movies/apps/the entire interface for that matter would be stunning, and reading would be so much better.

[​IMG]

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

As logical as removing the bezel is, I gotta say, I see those Androids screen left edge to right edge and they don't do anything to me, gives me a curiosity factor of about 2 seconds and then is gone, they don't tell me, "buy me, buy me!" YMMV.