Bezel size

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by deanfitz1, Mar 4, 2015.

1. deanfitz1 macrumors member

Hey

Just been watching some videos and noticed the bezel size around the screen. All the promotional pics have a black background to make it look blended into the bezel but man that thing looks chunky

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 18.55.20.png

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

3. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

I know, really! lol I don't know why someone would think that Pebble Time is aesthetically pleasing.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Yes, I know.
    It's such a shame. I was speaking about this some time ago.

It's probably the best Apple could get for the price they wanted to pay in the quantity they needed.

I'm almost certain this is something that will be improved upon in later models.

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

6. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

It could of been better. The original steel looks better imo.
    I have one, its nice.

Attached Files:

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Circle is just not good for text display.

8. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

It depends. If an app uses black background the bezel isn't as notable. Apple's HIG specifically recommends using black background.

[​IMG]

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed, but pretending it's not there, by making the screen background black, whilst it is a visual fudge, and helps stop you seeing the bezel so much, it's still a bit of a shame we can't have graphics a lot nearer the frame.

I know Apple are limited in what other companies can make for them to use. But I am 100% sure we will see as time goes on this get better, and when the bezel is ultra thin everyone here will love it.

Just have to live with it for now.
    I'm guessing it was either price or inability to produce in enough quantity that meant it was chosen to have to be like this for the 1st watch.

"A black background blends seamlessly with the device bezel and maintains the illusion of there being no screen edges"

That really is Pure Apple Talk :)

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Agreed. And this is why I'm skeptical of speculation that Edition watches will be upgradable. If Apple figures out how to make the bezel smaller in a year or two, that old Edition with upgraded chip inside but with huge bezel screen isn't going to look so attractive.

12. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well, it is quite possible that the screen is simply a module that presses into the metal case.
    The case itself being thin.
    In theory (and it just a theory) :) If the screen module itself, in the future, had it's active area much closer to the edge of the "push in module" then it may not matter or affect the case at all.

So In theory it's possible.

Really depends on how "Modular" the watch is in general.

Whatever happens, we can be sure Apple will improve things as models move on, and they won't make the bezel larger, it will only get less and less, which will be great as the picture/screen/graphics will get larger for everyone, without the watch having to grow in size.

You might aw well make the most of the space you have, naturally :)

Looking forward to the future :)

----------

I have to be honest, I think it looks worse! :eek:

It's probably down to the fact you can see all those circles chopped off as half and bits of circles.

Apple could certainly have done that better.

I could actually suggest a change right now, which might help.
    Just before your circle reaches the edge of the screen/bezel join.

for a few pixels, fade the circles to black just a little, to soften the edge, so there is a gentle fade to black as the circle edge approaches the bezel, so it's not such a harsh cut off point.

----------

As I say, I'd not really say this looks the very best with the circle cut-off User Interface.

It's funny, I thought this the very moment I saw Apple demo this the 1st time, and still think it now.

It's just looks like this Interface was designed for a round watch, and at the very last second, when it was too late to change it, they said.... NO We are making it square!

I'm sure that's not the case, but it just clashes visually like hell to me.

[​IMG]

14. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I am almost certain they have experimented with a circular design also, but for the reasons better known to them they have decided to go for square. Personally I wouldn't say am disappointed with square design, quite like it. Just would have wished for edge to edge screen. Thickness of the watch itself doesn't bother me.

15. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

A smaller bezel (larger display) would have either lowered DPI, making graphics look coarser, or required more pixels to cover the additional area, making the screen more difficult and expensive to make, and would also make it consume more power.

Driving more screen pixels would also consume more power, and would require more horsepower from the SoC when re-drawing animations and such, consuming yet more power still. Or if same graphics horsepower, the watch would simply perform less fluidly.

It's a fine balance with many considerations. The bezel isn't a showstopper as it is now however (for most I would think anyway), so why obsess over it?

Indeed. They also leave out the fact that OLED pixels consume power whenever they light up, making pure black easier on battery life. But then again, Apple often tends to filter out facts they might deem negative to their product (typically re-phrased as "confusing to the consumer". :rolleyes:)

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Yes, well I'm sure this will all be improved over time.
    less bezel, a little thinner, better battery, etc etc.

This is only their 1st attempt, and they will have got to a point where they said, ok. Enough is enough, we need to get this Launched.

Once it's done and out there, then they can start to re-visit things, and what can be improved for next time. Otherwise they'd never launch anything.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

One of those reasons is the circle icons contrast nicely with the rectangular design whereas they look a bit silly on a circular design, as illustrated below:

[​IMG]

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I prefer them on the round screen actually.

Round screen, round icons, look a lot more "Designed together" in my eyes.

And, let's be honest here. If the Apple watch was round, so would you :D

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I think round on round looks cartoonish.

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Of course you do :)

21. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

I do also.

22. tomaustin44 macrumors regular

As said by Ive in his New Yorker profile...

The shape of the body, meanwhile, barely changed: a rectangle with rounded corners. “When a huge part of the function is lists”—of names, or appointments—“a circle doesn’t make any sense,” Ive said.

I agree..when all of our interaction with our devices coming through a rectangular screen I think from a purely functional point of view it makes a lot of sense. A circular watch only makes sense from an aesthetic point of view in my opinion.

But the bezel does look quite heavy in that pic for sure.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think I read somewhere that they picked square because that's better than circle when displaying text. Which a lot of Watch apps will do. I can't remember where I read that, however.

EDIT: Ah, it was the NY times. ^

What do you think the watch will look like if the icons were square, and we had a squares in square look?

24. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Oh yes, without question.
    Unless you are willing to be adventurous, and really make a UI for a round dial, which, in my opinion no one has done yes, it's far far easier to stick with the more common square/rectangle.

To be honest, I don't think changing the little round icons to squares but keeping it all the same would look very nice at all.

I can't remember, but this round zooming around idea was copied wasn't it?

Something 6 months or a year ago..... What was it?

Was it Apple, or a game, or something else that used this very same concept. I can't quite remember it.
    It was approx. a year ish ago.

Anyone help me remember?

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think there must be more than one app by now that have used circles. The one I know is HABU music:
    https://appsto.re/us/QL-nG.i