Bezel Wars!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tiger8, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Ok, I think Sharp has released a game changer, the Acqous Crystal, a truly edgeless (or closest to edgeless) phone:

[​IMG]

And at only $149, off contract! Talk about a debut

Yet our $650+ iPhones and Galaxies and HTCs are stuck with the same Bezel from 2007. We'll have to wait to September 2016 to see any progress in that. Oh well

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I have no problems with the iPhone 6 bezel but agree that is seems to bother others.

3. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I don't really get the bezel hatred. I'm completely indifferent toward them.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I never even think about bezels until I see a thread like this.:rolleyes:

Just shows we all are different!:)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think that many people like the idea of more screen/glass. its a cleaner more modern look. increasing the size of phone, increased the bezels to make them much larger as well. I too think the bezels are a bit too big and apple could of done something a little different.

6. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

iPhone needs thinner top & bottom bezels in my opinion. Not sure what to make of that Acqous Crystal, it looks like upside down, very weird design!

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It might look pretty cool, but it's poorly specced - personally I'd rather have bezels and 128GB than no bezels and 8GB!

Also see this quote from Tech Radar

8. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

True, but remember this is the $149 version off contract, so that phone is meant to compete with Moto G and similar budget phones. Apparenrly there's a better spec'd version in Japan.

9. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I'd be fine with smaller bezels. I dunno. I just never have been fussed about them either way. Some people really seem to freak out over them, though.

10. mib1800 macrumors 68020

Apple needs to lessen bezel. IPhone is the worst phone in terms of bezel area.

11. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

The 6 Plus is the prime example of when bezel goes wrong.

It's what makes the 5.5 inch 6 Plus taller than the Note 4!

12. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

13. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Apple iPhone 6 plus has a huge forehead, I mean bezel.

Apple could have at least reined the top bezel. It looks fugly on a phablet.

----------

Iphone 6 plus is bigger than the note 4!

Apple wasted too much space.

14. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

It has a plastic screen? :eek:

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Looks like a piece of ****. Sure as hell isn't a game changer

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Tools loke it would not take much and that glass screen would shatter. Then again, either phone can not take much of a,hit from the side.

I think smaller bezels are a low priority for Apple.

17. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Back buttons on the bottom [screen] would make the bezel more useful, IMO. It's gunna take a while to get used to going from my Note 2 to the 6+.....we shall see.

18. noobinator macrumors 601

That's fugly and probably doesn't work all that well. I suppose if you have money to throw away it might be fun for a few minutes?

19. Smartass macrumors 6502a

I hope LG does something like that in the next G-series phone. G3 is already spectacular with its screen.

20. tvbi macrumors member

21. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the iphone could use smaller bezels thats for sure but that phone looks horrible is the front camera at the botton?

22. cynics macrumors G4

What are you talking about. The iphone is #1 because it has the biggest bezels. Bigger = better right?

23. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Agree 100%. The 6+ would be much more tolerable if the top and bottom bezels weren't so big. The screen size is great and it doesn't feel "huge", but the phone feels huge as a whole because of the bezel area surrounding the screen.

I think greatly reduced (or "eliminated") top and bottom bezels are going to one of the major design points in the next major iPhone ovehaul (IP7 in 2 years?).

24. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

The bezels serve a functional purpose. There should be a part of the front of the phone that isn't touch screen. It's the bezels. Personally I don't find them to be too big at all. The anti-bezel hype strikes me as exactly that: hype.

25. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

In my experience when the bezels get too small accidental input increases significantly just from holding the device by its sides. Of course going too large just wastes space, but there's definitely a balance to be found instead of just eliminating them (or else you'll need amazing accidental touch rejection involving capacitive side frames that can tell if a finger is just touching the screen vs. wrapping around the edge).