BEZELESS or Thinner iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bushman4, Sep 6, 2015.

?

BEZELESS iphone or THINNER iphone

1. Bezeless

66 vote(s)
    80.5%
  2. Thinner

11 vote(s)
    13.4%
  3. I don't care

9 vote(s)
    11.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bushman4 macrumors 68000

What would you rather see in the iPhone 7 :
    A BEZELESS iphone or a THINNER iPhone

2. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

What they need is to maximize screen to body ratio. The 6 and 6+ are the largest phones for their screen size out there. Why carry around all that phone for a small screen? Keep the 4.7" but make the phones length and width smaller. A bit thicker is no problem b/c it's even easier then to cram a larger battery in there. 7.6 mm "thick" like the iphone 5 and 5s would be no problem for me, b/c it would effectively allow a 3000 mah battery which would last all day easily no matter what you did.

3. recoil80 macrumors 68000

They really ought to reduce the bezel next year. The screen sizes are great, but the Plus is too tall

4. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm usually all in for a thinner phone, but man I owned the s6 edge + and that was just a bit too thin for me. I'm pretty happy with the 6+ thinness, but for sure they could reduce the bezels. Not only the side bezels, but especially the top bezel which is ginourmous. There are what, like a dozen or more phones out now with larger screens but smaller footprint than the 6+, I think it's time for Apple to get with the times.

5. subzero123 macrumors member

Def need to reduce bezels. its the one thing keeping the iPhone from looking as up to date as almost all other modern smartphones

6. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

A fatter bazeless phone thats able to house a battery to last all day and doesn't bend in the wind..

7. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Yes Apple let's make it so thin we can fold it in half and the battery only last for an hour!:p

Really?

8. stevemiller macrumors 65816

If we try to be objective, I think people would be hard pressed to come up with an issue that a thinner phone would solve, aside from maybe marketing bragging rights.

a smaller footprint addresses actual issues with how easy a phone is to hold. And the associated display tech would allow higher resolutions, which is another area where at least the 4.7" lags. And by NOT going thinner they'd have space for more battery, which would be nice. Although the argument could be made that bezels provide battery space too.

9. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

I read somewhere iPhones have the worst front display-to-bezel ratio. I don't know where, but I've seen a chart of it. You can basically fit an iPhone 6 display in a device only marginally larger than an iPhone 5S if you get rid of the huge chin and head on the front.

10. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

That's probably true. For example, the Moto X 1st generation has the same screen size as the iPhone 6, yet it is much smaller. I imagine Apple will improve the screen to size ratio in the iPhone 7.

11. ectospheno macrumors member

I'd like whichever one gives me a larger battery.

12. Xtremetj macrumors newbie

I really hope they adjust the ratio and get rid of the bezel. If you ask me, this is where Samsung beats the iPhone hands down. The 6+ is just too tall for me. I realize it's not a huge difference between the Note and the 6+ but the iPhone feels like it wants to flip out of my hand and just doesnt' feel as good as the Samsungs.

13. pika2000 macrumors 68030

After playing with the Sharp Aquous Crystal and Aquos X, a bezeless phone is just sickeningly cool. It will also improve handling as the phone can be less wide for the same screen size.

Thinner can only mean two things right now, less battery (unless you make the phone even bigger) and less durable.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

15. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Well if they went with the new flexible display tech Samsung has been working on then a folding iPhone is not out of the question and it would have to be thin to remain easy to pocket while folded. But I don't think they'd even consider it if battery life would be compromised that severely.

16. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

While I don't like the look of bezels, there would be too much accidental tapping going on without one. My palm already sometimes accidentally taps the corner of my screen, and my hands are on the smaller side. Usually happens if I'm holding my phone while in an awkward position, such as in bed.

That being said, I'm sure some coding may be able to prevent accidental taps at the edges of the screen. I'd definitely welcome less bezel, especially at the top and bottom.

17. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Utilize the display as a fingerprint reader, and use force touch so you hard press on the screen to act like a home button or something. Then get rid of the huge top and bottom bezels.

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I feel like a bezel free phone would cause too many accidental clicks, but if they could get the software working right I wouldn't mind it. I don't want the phones to go any thinner, I'd prefer them to go thicker and give us a bigger battery.