Bezels vs No Bezels

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmillar74, Apr 17, 2017.

1. dmillar74 macrumors regular

I've owned iPhones since my 3GS. The Galaxy S8 and some of the iPhone 8 renderings look great. But part of me wonders if some bezel is ok for better usability. Anyone use a galaxy or a minimal bezel phone and like it better than the usability of iPhone 7 or 7 plus? I've handled the galaxy edge phones of the past and I don't care for them.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I worry more about how the "no bezels" can reduce durability of the device.

3. maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

I'm fine with slim bezel (as opposed to no bezel) design, but I hate curved edge screen like the S7 Edge, I think it greatly increase the risk of damaging the phone when it drops as the corners are very exposed. Also it make it easier for accidental touches, harder to get proper glass screen protector for it, weird fitting cases as well.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Agree and it is why Apple will not do the curved screen edges like the S8. They will be much more conservative.

5. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

If you're implying that the iPhone 7 is durable, you're mistaken. Out of all the cracked screens I see on phones, the iPhone is far more common to have it.

Even though there are bezels, the glass covers the entire front of the iPhone too.

6. Packers1958 macrumors regular

I agree. Just about every phone out there has a full glass front. The issue with the Samsung is the glass actually curves over the sides a lot more than any other phone.

7. maccingandsnacking macrumors newbie

If you use a case I can't imagine there would be much difference.

People complained about Samsung's efforts in the early days because it was basically a gimmick. With the S8 I think that's all changed though and there's actually some cool features to go along with the aesthetic. If it's just a flat screen with no bezels, which is what Apple's is shaping up to look like, then I think it has to be a good thing.

8. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The way I look at the way phones are constructed today is that they all seem fragile enough being how thin they are built. It's really dependent on how the Phone lands (Without a Case) on the surface when dropped. I have had iPhones survive being dropped in the past and I have seen others shatter the display from a minimal height. Angles and gravity are the real enemies against all phones, aside from Those who handle them.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I will take that flat screen with small bezels and be very happy. Cool feature of the S* will matter little if the screen is broken.

10. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

no bezels for me..i want as much of a screen as possible. not keen on the wasted space of my 7 plus. still i enjoy the phone very much but looking forward to the next iPhone release.

11. BigDO macrumors 6502

BigDO

No bezels. People with butter fingers worried about breaking stuff can just use cases

12. iSpaceJam macrumors newbie

iSpaceJam

Love the way the phones lacking bezels look, but I feel like it won't be as durable as the phones with bezels. Looking forward to getting the S8 and seeing how it holds up over time.

13. 8692574 Suspended

Loving my Mi Mix, it is almost bazeless (it is on 3 sides) and as far as usability it has been great!

The samsumg might be more of a problem due to its curved screen / glass but I can assure you that the Mi Mix is a joy to use.

14. Critycal macrumors member

I dont care about the bezels. Tim just should give me my Touch ID!!1!

15. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I tried the S8 the other day, it was in a security bracket in a store, but I have to say I found the design uncomfortable for having no bezels? So it may not be best for my hands?

I'm toying what to do this year, weather to go to the Plus model, and if so which one as the 7 Plus is a ludicrous price in the U.K.! Wondering if the 6S Plus is still worth it and if it will drop further in price when the 7S Plus is announced.

Because I think I may need bezels.

16. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Thats true but the curve of the S8 is less dramatic than the S7 Edge. Its actually not far off the curve of the 6/6S/7.

17. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Bezels do not enhance durability. Please explain your thinking that they do.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 18, 2017 ---
    No. Apple won't do curved screens do to physics. Light interacting with curved glass is a no-go to Apple

18. ForumChick macrumors regular

ForumChick

Can't have your cake and eat it too. One had to be dropped for another

19. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

"No" Bezels do not provide any more durability or enhance the structural rigidity of the device any more than it is currently. Dropping the phone one way or the other doesn't make the phone any less prone to shattering due to having bezels or not.

20. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Bezel vs. no bezel forums have been going on for years. It's time for bezeless smartphones. Screen real estate is important and the more the merrier

Hopefully Apple will get the underscreen Touch I.D right eventually