BF2 and COD4 on MBP

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by riskybusiness, Jan 29, 2008.

1. riskybusiness macrumors newbie

I have a SR base model MBP with 2GB RAM and was wondering how these two games would run on my Book. I know that BF2 is an older game so it would run smoother, but I don't know about COD4. I've seen some vids on YouTube that has this guy playing COD4 on his mid-model with 4GB RAM so it wouldn't be true to my base-model MBP. Thanks for the help.;)

2. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Google is your friend.

So is the search. Its been discussed many times.

Yes, it will work fine is the short answer.

3. happydudeca macrumors member

I'll fire off a post just to tag this for tomorrow.

I have a 2.2 MBP, stock. COD4 runs very well, not a hint of lag, ever, and looks beautiful. I'll post what settings I'm running at but give FPS rates is a little out of my league.

4. Zealless macrumors newbie

If you have more than 1G RAM is enough for BF2 (close all other application), but 2G RAM will be better as it needs alot of memory when you play on 64 player server. Same for COD4.

Note* you able to play both game without lag according to normal setting. if you put every setting (especially graphic setting) to highest, it might lag. Happy gaming ~!

5. happydudeca macrumors member

Ok, I was playing COD4 at 800x600 with most extra settings off, no concerns. I bumped the resolution to 1024x768 and have left it there. No performance issues but keep in mind AA is only at 2x, shadows are off, corpse number medium, details at normal, but not syncing every frame and the other little tid bit options are not on. At these settings it still looks great. Probably not as good as it gets, but acceptable for me.

For the heck of it I changed the resolution to 1440x900, maxed all the graphics options, and experienced lag. Surprisingly I could still play the game with accuracy and enjoyment but you could tell it was chugging along and the FPS was noticeably less.

6. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I run them both BF2 and COD4 maxed out on my 2.2 MBP. No need to turn things down to far if at all.

7. cnote678 macrumors member

So, do those w/ 2.2 SR MBP's and NVIDIA GeForce 8600 128mb GDDR3 notice your MBP's getting ridiculously hot? I'm wondering if the SR 2.2 will work or if I should shell out the extra $300 for the Penryn 2.4? I'm pretty short on cash but willing to pay if it's a big difference.

8. happydudeca macrumors member

It gets hot and the fans clip along at a good rate, but it's not any worse than with other games. For what it's worth, the Company of Heroes game demo make the computer really warm while AOEIII seems to run rather cooler. On the Mac side, the fans rarely get up to speed while playing Quake 4 but with Ris e of Nations it heats up pretty well.

My point is that computer heating seems pretty arbitrary, and from what I hear, doesn't hurt the computer anyway.

9. Zealless macrumors newbie

yup, juz get one of those laptop cooler for the older model MBP, but good cooler ain't cheap, but still cheaper than getting a penryn. i have no idea about penryn will heat up or not, coz i don't own one. if penryn doesn't heat up, i guess penryn will be a better choice.