Bibdesk - how to generate bibliography

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bruno.mestre, Nov 20, 2008.

1. bruno.mestre macrumors newbie

I have to write a lot of academic papers in my work and up to this point I have been using the combination Word 2004 + Endnote 10.

Since I have Pages licensed though I would like to use it more often! The only problem is to find a suitable bibliography reference manager.

I like Bibdesk; I have managed to insert the references easily as I write (by means of its fantastic Drag&Copy functionality) but I have a problem: I cannot generate a bibliography in the end.

Does anyone know how to do this? I know that i'ts a knob question but I'm no rocket scientist either.

Alternatively, may anyone recommend me a free reference manager with a Cite While You Writte functionality?

Best,

2. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

You need Bibdesk templates to create a bibliography

Hi Bruno

You need bibdesk templates to create a bibliography. I have modified and created templates that allow users to drag and drop APA in text citations and to generate APA, AMA, AAA, and Journal of Neuroscience bibliographies. APA in text citations can be converted into AMA in text citations (numbered-superscript) easily using find and replace if your word processor has that feature. The templates have been tested with MS Office 2008, NeoOffice (my preferred), and Bean but they have worked with everything I have tested them with. If you are interested, leave a reply post.

3. bruno.mestre thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Munkery

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Of course that I am more than interested in the templates. Please tell me where to download them; if necessary, please email them to brunomestre@gmail.com.

Once again thank you very much

4. alabanco macrumors member

alabanco

Me too. I'd love to have good template as the default one is ugly. I need an ordinary template where comes Autor, Title, Journal, Place and time, Page. But in a nice way not the way it does by default.

5. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Have you guys thought about using TeXShop and \nocite{} commands to generate a bibliography? Something like...

Code:
    \documentclass[12pt]{article}
    \begin{document}

\title{}
    \author{}
    \date{}
    \maketitle

\nocite{Thompson}
    \bibliography{bib5} %bibfile goes here%
    \bibliographystyle{alpha}
    \end{document}

You're creating a *.bib file anyway, might as well take advantage of LaTeX bib styles to make it look pretty...

6. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

No need to use teXShop, as the templates drag and drop everything exactly as they are supposed to appear in every conventional word processor I have tried them with.

I am slowly building up the number of in-text and bibliography styles available as outputs and will eventually release the package of templates.

Licensed open source and free, of course.