Bible software with Word integration?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jas870, Feb 6, 2009.

1. jas870 macrumors newbie

hello all ... this is my first post, although i've been reading the forums for quite some time. i searched for a hello thread but couldn't find one, so i'll just say hi here :)

my mom recently made the switch to a mac, and is looking for software that mirrors the functionality of the Bible software on her pc, which was PC Study Bible. i've searched extensively, and while i've found several good Bible reference packages for the mac (ie, Accordance, Logos, Quickverse, Sword Project, etc.), which seem to have all the tools she'll need for search and cross referencing and such, they all lack one small ability: integration with Word.

She writes her Bible studies in Microsoft Word (although switching to another word processor wouldn't be too big an issue), and likes to be able to type in a verse, hit a button on a toolbar, and have the full verse inserted. I haven't found anything that claims to have that function. The closest I've found is a search widget for Logos.

Does anyone know of any Bible software for OSX that has word processor integration? I could set her up with her old PC software and Word via Parallels or Fusion, but i'd just as soon let her skip that step if possible.

thanks in advance for any info.

2. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

3. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I use Accordance (I have everything), and my word processor of choice for use with it is Mellel, because it correctly handles Hebrew (Right-to-Left language), which Word 2008 does not do. Mellel is everything Word is not. That means there is a learning curve especially with style sheets and outline (both which it seems are “better” than Word - I used Word all the way back to 5.1), but Mellel has many powerful features, probably more than your mother wants/needs. There is a trial period of 30 days and $49.

If you want a little easier word processor but still powerful, try Nisus Writer Pro.

4. jas870 thread starter macrumors newbie

many thanks for the replies. dirt farmer, i appreciate the links. i read the descriptions of each of those programs carefully and couldn't find any hints of word processor integration, sadly.

exegete, thanks for the info on word processors. does either of those allow you to type a reference (ie, John, 3:16) into the word processor, and then change that into the full verse with one click of a toolbar or something similar?

i know this is a very specific feature to be looking for. what can i say? my mom knows what she wants :)

5. joshbing macrumors member

joshbing

no none of the Bible software available can do that. you will have to copy and paste. the only 'integration' ive seen is that when you paste in a word document from logos, it will automatically footnote it with the proper bibliography. if you want a free bible software, macsword has the ESV and KJV as well as other less popular Bibles.

God Bless =)

6. jas870 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help, josh. while that's not exactly the answer i was looking for, at least i know there's no point in looking further :)

i'm sure that cutting and pasting won't be too big a deal for her. if it is, then hopefully parallels won't be too hard to use.

thanks again for all the help, and have a great day.

7. gchapman macrumors newbie

Summary of OSX Verse Insertion Utilities

I've been looking for the same capabilities and found this summary of OSX verse insertion utilities. It looks like there are a number of options available. I use Accordance, and like its widget.

Hope this helps!