Bicycle purchase advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lynziwow, Jan 30, 2011.

1. lynziwow macrumors member

Hi!

Y'all manage to give the best advice on all things Mac so i'm hoping you can help me out with this.

I've been wanting to ride a single speed bicycle because of the simplicity and the routes I take in SF are surprisingly flat most of the time. I would like a bike I could covert to fixed gear if I choose to learn how to ride fixed in the future.

That being said, i'm 5'5" and want something affordable yet safe and built well enough to last several years.

I found this bike on craigslist:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/2188955132.html

I got him down to $550. Is this a good deal, or should I keep looking? Any other suggestions/advice?

Thanks in advance!

Lindsey

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sounds like a great bike, but perhaps a bit short for you?

I'd never get a bike that wasn't the right size. It's not a hoodie or something. The bike needs to fit. The seatpost can be raised, but the distance from the seat to the handlebars can't be changed, so your body may end up scrunched up because your body is too long for the bike, or you may keep kneeing the handlebars as you pedal.

If you need to go cheap on a fixie, get a Charge Plug or something. They should be easy to find, so you could try riding one at a shop.

I have a Cooper Sebring single-speed, but not fixed. Don't know how much it costs in the US, but it's quite well-spec'ed.

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Looks really nice. At that price as well that's very good. Nice haggling! :D

4. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I think a 50cm would be better. 48 is do-able, though.

5. admwright macrumors regular

+1 on the charge Plug, a great bike. I actually went for the Charge Mixer as I wanted some gears. I think the Nexus setup is the next best thing to a single speed, fixed chain and sprocket and runs very silent.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm 5'10", and for me, a 56-58 would do (depending on brand and style), so for someone who was 5'5", I was thinking a 50-52 would do. I'm no expert on sizing, so I'm pretty much guessing. Anything smaller, and I don't think it'd fit.

7. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I would ask what kind of wheels and hubs are on it. I went from regular stock wheels that came on my Fuji Track bike to Velocity Deep V's and Surly Hubs. It went from riding a Yugo to almost a BMW. Make sure you don't get hosed with some cheap wheels if you are going to pay that much for a used bike.

The seat can also be adjusted forward and back, you are limited to the distance of the rails that are under the seat though. The Brooks Saddle is a nice touch.

8. lynziwow thread starter macrumors member

Wheels and hubs

Hey, everyone!

Thanks so much, I knew I could count on this forum for the best advice.

Any who, I contacted the seller, and he responded about the wheels:

The hubs are by formula, and the wheels are Alex R500's!

I forgot to say it also has a Thompson Elite Seatpost that is the best you can get. The front brake is Campygnolo, which you've prob heard of.

I'm pretty new to the whole track bike thing, so are these good wheels? Worth the $550 complete price tag? Thanks.

Also, about the sizing, I'm probably between 5'4-5'5". I bought my last bike (a really nice Kona Jake cyclocross) at a dealer and was sized by them and bought per their reccomendaion but I find the stand over height is just too little for me to be comfortable(meaning the frame is too tall), and that's why I'm trying a smaller frame. Also, the seller claims he is 5'5" and it fits perfect. Ill test ride it before final sale but just want to make sure it's a good deal so I don't waste my time, his time, or my money.

I think the bike is really sexy and will purchase today if you all agree these wheels and hubs are decent. Thanks again...I am looking forward to posting some pics in the "post your last purchase thread ;):D

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, if it's sexy you want, a Bacchetta High Racer is hard to beat on that count

[​IMG]

But they are rather pricey.

10. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

is that comfortable?

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

It is, very. Though I do have some circulation issues with my feet getting numb.

12. lynziwow thread starter macrumors member

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Curses, now I have that Melissa Ethridge song running through my head (Dance without sleeping, dance till I'm numb...)

14. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I read somewhere you can go faster in those types of 'flat' bikes (not sure of the right term) because you're lower to the ground and there's less wind resistance...could be just BS but there you go!

15. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Are you gonna be riding this as a daily or for sport? Either way 550 is a lot of money. I'd get an iPad and walk haha

16. JulesNYC macrumors regular

Make sure you lock up that bike along with its Brooks saddle (retails over $100 alone) when around town.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The picture is of one of the owners of that company as he is about a quarter into riding RAAM (Oceanside CA to Annapolis MD in about ten days). He smoked his 50+ age group and was seventh overall (upper fourth of the under-50s). For long distance riding, a recumbent will get you where you are going without any crotch, neck or wrist pain. For sprints, you can get equal or better aerodynamics stretched over a time-trial bike. Hills, well, that can be a matter of debate, but the concensus leans toward upright bikes tending to be better.

18. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It's really nice to see how many people exercise :)